• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

neautering risks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting Charlie neautered so he can live with my girls, I was just wondering if there are any major risks in enautering guinea pigs, I have had rabbits neautered before and they ahve never had any problems, would a guinea pig be ok?

You can neuter guinea pigs however there are sometimes complications and it is possible for the pig to die however most do go succesfully.

If you do decide to get your pig neutered then make sure you understand what will be needed what the risks are etc and also make sure that the person performing the operation knows what they are doing. O0

Agreed with the above, also ask what they use to stitch up, if they say cat guts say no, ask for smoething else, they can react badly with piggies. Also ask if they can use gas instead of full blown anaesthetic, it has a much higher rate of sucessful opperations :)

Glue is good :)

Make sure the nurses know what to do if guinea isn't eating after the op. Take a box of food marked 'post op' so it gets put in afterwards. It should have all his favourite titbits, use a vet that a rescue uses successfully.

The vet that did Spike explained that he stitches and glues as the glue acts as a protector to the stitches.

I also asked them to keep him for the day as I was working but thought that either way I would rather him be in their capable hand than mine!

I can understand how difficult a decision it is deciding what to do. I decided in favour as I knew I would want to add more in the future but there is a lot of advice available now to help bond boars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back