Nearly There - Last Few Bits Of Advice Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiona357

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello,

So I'm nearly ready to visit my local rescue centre to get my first piggies! I've got a 3' x 3' C&C cage set up in the corner of my dining area, and they will be able to have almost permanent access to the hallway for floor time. I just needed a bit of last minute advice please :inn:

- I plan on getting two piggies, I'm sure I read somewhere that they should have a water bottle and food bowl each. I was going to set them up with two trays made from correx and lined with newspaper, each one will have a small food dish for pellets and fresh veg and hay, and a water bottle. Is this OK, or will one be enough?

- I'm going to line the correx with newspaper, then some old towels, then fleece. However I want to put an incontinence pad or something underneath their houses. But if I do this, are they likely to "dig" underneath the pad underneath their house? And how would I stop them doing this?

- Might be a but of a silly questions, but I've made a door to my C&C cage, so with floor time they can go back to their cage if they want to. But the ramp I've made in the correx is a bit tall - how high can piggies climb? For example, will they happily climb over a 2" wall? I'll also need to blu-tack the ramp to our lino floor, will this be OK - surely they won't try and eat the blu-tack?! EDIT: I'll use one of those small wooden bridges for them - makes more sense!

- If I add a second level to the cage (I was thinking about maybe having their food on a top level so it's easier to clean), will plastic drainpipe with a strip of spare carpet be enough traction for their claws?

Thanks so much! I just want to make sure I've got everything right. :roll:

Last edited:
Hi there. You are right to get two of everything as piggies need their own things. You can buy caged tunnels which safely let guinea pigs climb to the next level. You can put fleece under each house or a piece of vetbed.

I'd definitely avoid the blue-tac idea - piggies will try to eat almost anything!
They are also natural foragers and some will try to bury themselves under things. You could try putting a pad under the house and see what happens. Two of everything is certainly a good idea :)

That's great, thanks very much! I've just got back from a couple of pet stores to compare prices to other bits I've found online - nearly there! So excited to get my first piggies! :))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back