• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Nauseous

• Thread starter Thread starter Mette; von Felix
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mette; von Felix

About 4 month ago I lost my beautiful Lillebebs. I never really found out what was wrong with her. I have talked to several vets about it, but noone seems to have an explanation. So now I thought, I would hear if any of you had tried something similar?

Wednesday night she began felling nauseous. She was gagging every time she tried to eat something. The next morning I toke her to the vet. I knew that she could be pregnant, and I thought, that maybe she was loosing the babies, and that was the reason for her being nauseous.
She was scanned and she was pregnant with one baby, but the baby was alive and there were absolutely no signs that something was wrong with it. Nothing seemed to be wrong with her teeth or her throat and her stomach also seemed to be just fine.

I toke her back home, but it just got worse and Saturday, I went to the vet again. This time she was scanned ones more and her baby was still fine. She got some antibiotics (Baytril) and I went home. That actually helped somewhat. She was less nauseous and it was much easier for her to eat.

Monday night she began feeling worse again and Tuesday morning she could not even be close to food without feeling nauseous and gagging. So I went back to the vet, he examined her ones more. Her baby was still fine. He gave her some more antibiotics (Baytril), but this time it had no effect. I had been force feeding her the entire time, but that afternoon it got so bad, that it was impossible to get anything into her. As soon as something touched her mouth she gagged and water ran from her mouth.

I then called my vet and he gave me something for her nausea, but unfortunately, it was absolutely impossible for me to get it into her (I know it sounds weird usually the swallow at least some of it, but she really did not!). Tuesday night I called the vet again, and he could give it to her intravenously instead.
It helped a bit but not nearly enough, when we came home, she immediately tried to eat, but she was still way too nauseous. At this point in time her baby was still alive!

Early next morning she died in my arms. She kept on trying to eat until about 2 hours before she died (her body was just exhausted in the end).

I have talked to a few different vets since and noone have an answer (one of them had ones seen the exact same symptoms, but the autopsy had not shown anything). The closest thing I have gotten to an answer yet is an old nurse who told me that an infection in the brain will cause a person to feel extremely nauseous and maybe the same thing had happened to Lillebebs. I talked to a few vets about it, and they said it would explain why the autopsy on the other animal did not show anything (they do not open the skull), but it sounded a bit extreme, on the other hand it was the only possible explanation they had heared so far.

did you know pigs cannot be sick, apparently they are one of the only animals who cannot be sick, thinking abut what you described the gagging reminds me of a blockage in the throat one of mine would not accept food from a syringe and water would trickle from the mouth, it turned out to be a tumour in the neck/throat area,
I am so sorry she died and her baby died the other thing maybe a paralasis in the throat just guessing here but I have seen it and its so sad

That is definitely possible, but her entire body was scanned, so I would imagine the vet would have seen it!?

Thats very true, Guinea pigs can NOT vomit. Ever. So this gagging is very rare. Perhaps she had an allergy? what type of bedding did you use? if it was cedar then perhaps your piggie was allergic to her bedding. very possible. It could have been an allergy to anything - food she'd eaten, or even something in the air. Also - had she ever been pregnant before? And how old was she? If she'd never been pregnant before and she was older than about 6 months of age, she could have been experiencing hormonal problems. At about 6-7 months of age, sows' Symphisys Pubis (Hip bone) fuses together making it impossible for large, or even some small babies to pass thru. If the Sow is not bread before 3-4 months, sometimes that baby AND the mother will die due to complications. A C-section is usually needed in this case. Either way it's bad news. C-sections in guinea pigs have low success rates. Anyways, did you feed her anything new? Did you bathe her with different soap? Did you change anything in her habitat? if so this could be allergies. But guinea pigs rarely suffer that much from allergies. Other than that I dont know what it could have been? And yes ^^ up there you're right it could very well have been a tumor.. however its very strange that an ultrasound/xray wouldnt detect that. It is also very possible your piggy had cancer? There are a lot of possibilities...Sorry i couldnt help more.

I am aware of the fact that cavies cannot vomit :) but she was gagging to the extent, that you could not touch her mouth without her gagging and water running out of her mouth.
The bedding was not cedar, and I have always used the same bedding (never had problems before or since!). She was born here and she died when she was 10 month old. She had never been ill before!
It was her first litter, but I must admit, I really disagree with you! A sow should definitely not be bread before the age of 3-4 month!!! The problems you are describing are problems that can arise, if the sow has not given birth to her first litter before the age of 12 month! Anyway, that was not the problem. She was not that far along in her pregnancy, she had about 3-4 weeks to go. Furthermore, she was scanned several times, and the scan showed nothing.
Furthermore, no I did not change anything, not her food, I did not move her, not the vedgetables, not anything!
I do not think it was in the air either. I have all my 12 cavies in the sitting room, and she was the only one who fell ill.

Normally, cavies can be nauseaus, if they are in lack of calcium (she was definitely not!), or if the babies are dead inside of them. She scanned several times, and her baby was definitely alive!

I have talked to a few vets since, most of them had no clue what it could be and they had never seen anything like it, but one of them had seen something very similar happen to a young boar......he also died, and they never found out why.

First of all I am sorry you lost her and her unborn baby. Secondly I have never heard of anything like this in guineas. I don't think it was anything you done wrong at all, to me it sounds like she may have had something mentally wrong (not to make it sound in a bad way). Thirdly
guinealove07 said:
If she'd never been pregnant before and she was older than about 6 months of age, she could have been experiencing hormonal problems. At about 6-7 months of age, sows' Symphisys Pubis (Hip bone) fuses together making it impossible for large, or even some small babies to pass thru. If the Sow is not bread before 3-4 months, sometimes that baby AND the mother will die due to complications.
this is utterly wrong. A sow should not be bred until she is at least six months of age and should not be bred after eight months of age, her bones will be fully fused together at a year of age.

I also think it was something in her brain. Otherwise something would have showed up on the scan, or in her droppings.

Concerning the age when they are suppose to have their third litter, I completely agree with you Cavy Crazy, they should definitely not be bread before the age of 3-4 month!

In just sounds to me as an involuntary action (the brain sending the wrong messages), I don't think there was anything you could do. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back