Natures Own 5 a day hay

Mclayton

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi just a quick question please. My piggies have always had NaturesOwn 5 a day hay. They absolutely love it! Smells lovely. Just wondered if it was normal to contain a bit of dust. I've started taking it out of the plastic packet, & shaking it,, opening it up. Hope that's better. They rarely sneeze, so I'm hoping a little dust in hay is normal

Yes it's normal. I usually find Natures Own to be one of the best for not being too dusty. Different hays, companies and different batches vary. If I get a really dusty hay (not happened for a few years) I take it outside and unpack it, give each handful a good shake and put it into another box/bag.

Yes, a bit of dust is normal. Natures Own hay is all really nice, my piggies love the Sweet Green Hay but the cheaper Devon Meadow Hay is good quality too.

Do you buy direct from their website. I find the hay is much fresher if you do.

Yes it's normal. I usually find Natures Own to be one of the best for not being too dusty. Different hays, companies and different batches vary. If I get a really dusty hay (not happened for a few years) I take it outside and unpack it, give each handful a good shake and put it into another box/bag.

Mine have that one as a treat hay. Up until recently I had 6 guinea pigs so needed big bags/boxes of hay. Now I'm down to 4 piggies I may use that one a bit more often it's easier to store! I used to have 5 bags of their meadow hay a time and 15 kilos of Hay Box Timothy on a 6 weekly subscription. It's time for a change!

I get that one too as a treat, it’s good hay. If I buy bagged hay when I get to the bottom where the dust is I empty handfuls into a kitchen sieve and shake it, that works really well

Yes, a bit of dust is normal. Natures Own hay is all really nice, my piggies love the Sweet Green Hay but the cheaper Devon Meadow Hay is good quality too.

Do you buy direct from their website. I find the hay is much fresher if you do.
I buy from amazon, or Ebay usually. This is what they have
I get that one too as a treat, it’s good hay. If I buy bagged hay when I get to the bottom where the dust is I empty handfuls into a kitchen sieve and shake it, that works really well
Mine have it as their main hay, & not as a treat. I do, however, separate the added ingredients, the flowers etc, & give that as a treat. Giving this hay doing them good. They are nearly one, & are active, with beautiful coats

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230306-120841_Amazon Shopping.webp
    Screenshot_20230306-120841_Amazon Shopping.webp
    36.1 KB · Views: 2
Comet and Blitzen got the 5 a day hay regularly. The goblins don't like it much at all :td:

Nature's Own in general has brilliant customer service, prompt shipping and they make some of my favourite wood shavings. Alas they also use DPD as their sole courier, which means I won't be using them again for some time. Maybe ever.

Nature's Own in general has brilliant customer service, prompt shipping and they make some of my favourite wood shavings. Alas they also use DPD as their sole courier, which means I won't be using them again for some time. Maybe ever.
DPD have got bad here too, not as bad as EVRI though!

This is what I've always used. They go mad for it! 😀
If you buy directly from Natures Own there is more choice and it may be cheaper for you. Shipping is free on orders over £19.95. For direct orders the hay comes in bio wrap so it's environmentally friendly too.😀

I still have no idea how my local Evri driver manages to be more reliable than DPD. But then everyone manages to be more reliable than DPD when I'm trying to get stuff delivered, lol. The Hay Experts will send via any other courier (the current order's coming via DHL), and they do sell the Nature's Own hay, plus the hay cookies. They don't sell the wood shavings unfortunately, those I'd need to go direct for.

DPD have had enough chances to get their act together. The fact I got the last delivery at all is a miracle, I don't plan on testing it out twice. And it's a pity, now I can't get the hay the goblins like and the bedding that I like :td:

On the bright side, they love the Pillow Wad, as unappetising as it might look to me.

I still have no idea how my local Evri driver manages to be more reliable than DPD. But then everyone manages to be more reliable than DPD when I'm trying to get stuff delivered, lol. The Hay Experts will send via any other courier (the current order's coming via DHL), and they do sell the Nature's Own hay, plus the hay cookies. They don't sell the wood shavings unfortunately, those I'd need to go direct for.

DPD have had enough chances to get their act together. The fact I got the last delivery at all is a miracle, I don't plan on testing it out twice. And it's a pity, now I can't get the hay the goblins like and the bedding that I like :td:

On the bright side, they love the Pillow Wad, as unappetising as it might look to me.
Oddly I have problems with DPD when they deliver my Haybox order but not with the Nature's Own order. I think it's because Haybox send everything in separate boxes and then DPD split the delivery onto separate vehicles.

Oddly I have problems with DPD when they deliver my Haybox order but not with the Nature's Own order. I think it's because Haybox send everything in separate boxes and then DPD split the delivery onto separate vehicles.

The Hay Experts sent the last order via DPD because of the order weight - so two boxes in one order. And that's (somehow) the one DPD managed to get to my door, 5 minutes after I woke up at 8am. There's no way that wasn't deliberate on their part. I emailed Hay Experts though and it's been agreed, if my order is too heavy for one box, I'm more than happy to pay shipping for two boxes because then I can at least guarantee I'm not chasing it with the depot for a fortnight before they give up and return it to sender.

When I rang Nature's Own the lady I spoke to was really apologetic about it, but they're locked into the DPD contract and can't use other couriers for that reason. I get it. I don't like it, but I get it.

I get the same with HayBox, the boxes also arrive open. DPD must get fed up cleaning hay out of the vans.

If you buy directly from Natures Own there is more choice and it may be cheaper for you. Shipping is free on orders over £19.95. For direct orders the hay comes in bio wrap so it's environmentally friendly too.😀
Thank you for that! 😀

I'm tempted to try my own piggies on nature's own, but I have a feeling that Eris won't be very happy about it.

I buy from amazon, or Ebay usually. This is what they have

Mine have it as their main hay, & not as a treat. I do, however, separate the added ingredients, the flowers etc, & give that as a treat. Giving this hay doing them good. They are nearly one, & are active, with beautiful coats
It’s good stuff! I buy a bail of organic hay from the local farm/horse shop. I use it for their floor base over newspaper and give five a day too. they like all hays and aren’t fussy piggies but I like to give them a variety

Back