Nails...how Long Is Too Long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheshCharl

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hiya, I noticed today that one of my piggies seems to have quite long back claws, I'm new to keeping piggies and only got them about 2 weeks ago so I'm not sure how long they should be? It looks like the front ones seem ok but the back ones are about 1cm long, they just looked a bit funny so it got me wondering... They are nervous rescue pigs so picking them up myself and clipping their nails isn't really an option at the moment. Is it something that can wait until they are happy to be picked up and messed about with or should I get them to the vets to clip them ASAP? Any advise is much appreciated, thanks!

Hi, they are white, please see below, sorry, not the best pic! image.webp

Yes they could do with cutting. Can you see the white tips? That is the part that can be cut. Were it goes dark it is called the quick and this must not be cut as it contains blood. If in doubt just trim off the ends.

Hi, sorry to jump in - how close to the quick should nails be cut - I was wondering about one of my piggies as her back nails are quite long too

Hi, sorry to jump in - how close to the quick should nails be cut - I was wondering about one of my piggies as her back nails are quite long too
Just leave a gap before the quick to make sure you do not cut it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back