Nail trimming?

Olive_piggies

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I am finally deciding to try clipping my Guinea pig’s nails and I need a good recommendation for a nail clipper. Preferably a human ish one (I heard you could use them?) since I’ve tried an animal one and I have to get so far up to cut it I almost always mess up. The human one I have right now isn’t big enough and I’m not sure if there are bigger ones? Idk I’m new so any recommendations would be great 😂

Hi, I do not believe human clippers are recommended as they use a crushing mechanic, which is fine as we don’t have nerves in our nails.
The basic small animal nail clippers are really good, they sometimes just take a while to get used to.
They look like this - https://amzn.eu/d/8pyZZ84

I recommend you hold them like the image I will attach, you can see how much nail you are cutting and when the other half comes down it is cutting though the end of the nail instead of accidentally cutting into the quick.
This will also help with your struggle to get some nail off without putting the whole nail in.

You could use human ones to take a tiny sharp end off but I find they are quite slippy and don’t get enough grip on the nail.

Attachments

• IMG_3254.webp
    IMG_3254.webp
    35 KB · Views: 4
:agr:

Please don't use human clippers - they can be painful for piggies.

The ones pictured above are a good example, and if you have a pair that aren't cutting well they may just need replacing. The blades do go blunt over time.

I agree also.
I have a pair of smaller animal clippers like the one in Claire’s picture

If you are not confident you can call your vets and they should be able to organise a nurse appointment to demonstrate how to do this xx

Back