Nail trimming mishap

Engel

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was trimming piggy nails last night and I caught Blossoms pad when doing the last nail on her front paw. It was a couple mm deep, took a while to start bleeding and took about 10 mins to stop with pressure and cornflour (I did have some swabs with a styptic solution in it with some lidocaine but it appears after opening 3 that they had dried up and the pack was useless).

It's formed a scab and doesn't seem red or hot to the touch, no oozing and she's walking/running/popcorning fine and eating/drinking normally too. As it's on her foot and the floor is a very dirty place no matter how much you clean, should I be soaking it daily or asking the vet for antibiotics because of its location or should she be fine and I just keep an eye on it?

PSX_20230327_151143.webp

Best photo I could get. It's the black line.

I’m no expert but I think if it’s scabbed over I’d be tempted to leave well alone and just keep an eye on it. I can’t imagine the vet would give you any antibiotics without evidence of an infection. Fingers crossed it stays closed and healed.

I’m no expert but I think if it’s scabbed over I’d be tempted to leave well alone and just keep an eye on it. I can’t imagine the vet would give you any antibiotics without evidence of an infection. Fingers crossed it stays closed and healed.
That's fine. I guess that I just wanted some reassurance.

I accidentally did this to my Finn before, actually a couple of times. Finn is 6 years old, so he has seen everything. I put some vaseline to stop the bleeding, and he was fine afterwards. I think I was more scared than Finn was.

Back