Nail trim advice

marshmallow2022

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey, my guinea pig, Marshmallow is a very sweet boy who loves to be cuddled by me and never bites me, he has bitten most others who try to hold him though. I tried to trim his nails while my dad was holding him but I got scared because he freaked out because my dad was holding him. I tried holding him while my dad cut the nails but marshmallow still freaked. He loves to cuddle and be held but when others try he doesn't like it.

The only way I could cut them was me holding him and cutting his nails. And of course as one person, it took a while. Does anyone have any advice on how to make it an easier process for just one person?

Hi, I have exactly the same issue but always find 2 pairs of hands is easier than just one pair. You could try doing one paw one day, another paw the next and so on if you are struggling. This may cause you and your piggie less stress doing it over a few days rather than all at once. Even doing one or two nails everytime you've got your piggie out?

Hi, I have exactly the same issue but always find 2 pairs of hands is easier than just one pair. You could try doing one paw one day, another paw the next and so on if you are struggling. This may cause you and your piggie less stress doing it over a few days rather than all at once. Even doing one or two nails everytime you've got your piggie out?
That's the thing, it doesn't stress him cutting his nails, when I do it he doesn't give me any problems, what stressed him out was other people, when my dad held him, marshmallow bit him. But thank you for the advice, I will try spacing trimmings over a few days.

That's the thing, it doesn't stress him cutting his nails, when I do it he doesn't give me any problems, what stressed him out was other people, when my dad held him, marshmallow bit him. But thank you for the advice, I will try spacing trimmings over a few days.
Spacing it out could make it easier for you.

I cut all my piggies nails alone.
I hold piggy under one arm (making sure their bottom is supported) and use that same hand to hold the foot I’m cutting, then use the other hand to cut. At the beginning with each piggy I never tried to get through all nails in one sitting.
It took practice and patience but as they all become more confident it became much easier

Guide to Cutting Guinea Pig Nails

Back