Nail fell off

Maryjames

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I went to trim my guinea pigs nails and one of them fell off. I've never seen anything like this before. The nail was injured previously when someone cut her nail too short so it's possible it was dead and just fell. Has anyone ever seen this? It bled a little bit and I put some antiseptic powder on it and it stopped. She seems fine otherwise and went back to eating her grass. Anything I should do?

She may have injured it previous (either by clipping it too short or by something she did when you weren't looking) and it subsequently fell off. I would just keep an eye on it to make sure the paw doesn't look swollen and she is using her foot normally. One of my past pigs actually ripped her nail off where it met her foot after getting it caught in a wire ramp... it did grow back eventually with no ill effects. Hope this helps!

I went to trim my guinea pigs nails and one of them fell off. I've never seen anything like this before. The nail was injured previously when someone cut her nail too short so it's possible it was dead and just fell. Has anyone ever seen this? It bled a little bit and I put some antiseptic powder on it and it stopped. She seems fine otherwise and went back to eating her grass. Anything I should do?
Update: I took her to the vets this morning and she has a slightly swollen toe but no infection. Its dry so the vet gave her antibiotics for 5 days. She also said I could soak her toe in a little bit of Epsom salt and warm water. Thanks everyone. I will keep you posted

Back