Nail clipping

Amyrose1978

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, this might be a silly question, but my aunt who usually clips our pets claws is ill and the guineas need their claws clipping. Would is be ok to use normal (human) nail clippers, or should I get clippers for animals?

Human clippers can work for taking off very tips of thin nails but probably arent tough enough to deal with taking off much more than that - you'd have to try and see if it works - eg my four year old piggies nails are too thick for anything other than proper animal nail clippers!

Human nail clippers are fine, but I personally would invest in a pair of small pet nail clippers.
If you compare the 'blade' on human clippers vs pet clippers you will see it is a lot thicker and more blunt.
Pet clippers have a much finer blade, so have more of a direct cutting action.
Human clippers will cut guinea pig nails, but also squeeze them more because of the thickness of the blade.
This isn't an issue for humans as we don't have a nerve inside our nail like guinea pigs do.
Human clippers can cause some pain as the squeezing effect (due to thicker, duller blades) can compress the nerve slightly and cause your guinea pig to startle.

Pet clippers aren't expensive and are well with the investment.

Human nail clippers are fine, but I personally would invest in a pair of small pet nail clippers.
If you compare the 'blade' on human clippers vs pet clippers you will see it is a lot thicker and more blunt.
Pet clippers have a much finer blade, so have more of a direct cutting action.
Human clippers will cut guinea pig nails, but also squeeze them more because of the thickness of the blade.
This isn't an issue for humans as we don't have a nerve inside our nail like guinea pigs do.
Human clippers can cause some pain as the squeezing effect (due to thicker, duller blades) can compress the nerve slightly and cause your guinea pig to startle.

Pet clippers aren't expensive and are well with the investment.
Shall invest in some animal clippers and have a bowl of flour nearby just incase I clip a little too much - Jerry's nails are black so can't see the little vein.

Is there anything we could put in their cage and/or run that will help them file claws naturally?

Back