Nail Clipping

Status
Not open for further replies.

katie-elizabeth

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I just cut the boys nails for the first time, I was so nervous :eek: but Joey's were fine as he has white nails and because he's young only needed the very tips off, but Alfie has dark nails :( and I hardly cut any off his as I didn't have a clue where the quick was, any tips for cutting dark nailed piggies?
Also I'm not convinced Alfie's has even been cut very often before, as they seem very long (especially his back feet) - how long should a piggies nail be without it starting to cause problems?! :ple:

Well done. It is not an easy task. With black nails you can just trim the ends once a month.

Funnily enough, I did mine for the first time tonight as well and I did the same, just a little off the black nails (which on mine are almost all of them). Even a little makes a big difference to the scratch factor!

• just done my peruvian and sheltie and trimmed their hair. My sheltie baby had mattes and wasnt amused at getting nails done never mind fur being clipped. Just another 8 to go for nails, they are short haired.Easy (ha ha))Wish me luck

• just done my peruvian and sheltie and trimmed their hair. My sheltie baby had mattes and wasnt amused at getting nails done never mind fur being clipped. Just another 8 to go for nails, they are short haired.Easy (ha ha))Wish me luck

Good Luck!

I dont mind nail clipping but my babies hate it. I try to keep on top of them monthly but there's always one who scratches me to remind me its nail time again lol.

I have a guinea pig with one set of black nails. I couldn't see the quick, but based on how I clipped his other back toes that are white, I realized that the quicks were in the same spot. If you clip other guinea pig nails at the same time as Alfie's nails are clipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back