My two boars got into a small fight

Panchito & Fisgon's Dad.

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sadly as it sounds, my two 16 months old male boars got into a fight.

I've had them since they were 4 months old and never got into a full fight, they teeth chatter, pee each other or rumble strut from time to time, but never got into fights, not even when being on small places (When taking them to the vet or when we traveling on car).

My girlfriend was changing their fleece linners and apparently they both were fighting for a hidey (firstly just teeth chattering), then they got into a full fight that ended quite quickly (around 5s) fortunately no one was injured, the boss guinea pig pulled a bit of hair from the submissive one, then he started screaming like crazy (we firstly thought he was injured but checked him and was ok) and they both ran away. Recently the submissive one was a bit hormonal and was humping the bossy one but he didn't seem to care until now.

We decided not to fully separate because they didn't draw blood and they seem to be ok now that we already cleaned their enclosure and they have their hideys in place. They are eating hay together like nothing had happen.

Should I separate them for a few weeks, or where they lucky enough that they didn't draw blood from each other 🥺.

PS: The bossy one is panchito (dark brown) and his brother (fisgón)

Attachments

• IMG_20220110_103839_175.webp
    IMG_20220110_103839_175.webp
    59 KB · Views: 7
I would keep a very close eye on them and be prepared to step in and separate if it occurs again.
I would not separate them for a ‘few weeks’ though.

Ensure all hides have two exits, that there are multiple hides and that there is always something remaining in their cage with their scent on once the cage has been cleaned (cleaning half the cage at a time can work well for younf boars as it means the cage still smells of them)

I would keep a very close eye on them and be prepared to step in and separate if it occurs again.
I would not separate them for a ‘few weeks’ though.

Ensure all hides have two exits, that there are multiple hides and that there is always something remaining in their cage with their scent on once the cage has been cleaned (cleaning half the cage at a time can work well for younf boars as it means the cage still smells of them)

Yeah well, the weird part is that they have like 6 hideys and 2 tunnels so they had never fight over that, it's the first time it happens so I'm a bit worried it happens again. They are together right now eating hay as nothing has happened (they even were screaming asking for pellets haha), and they are not really the type of boars who fight over stuff, they even scare each other out when one teeth chatter to the other and they even try to avoid fights when one warns the other out, they don't even like humping each other, they just tend to pee each other if one is invading their personal space.

You’ve been given good advice above. I would put only 3 hides in their cage, making sure they all have two exits. Hopefully it’s just a minor blip but do keep a close eye on them.

Little update: Fortunately they are acting as nothing has happened (I found one of them had a little scratch on his nose but nothing to be worried about), thanks to both of you for the advice. 🐹

Back