My thoughts on why guinea pigs chirp

Piggles_The_skinny pig

New Born Pup
Reaction score
(Random post)
I've only heard piggles chirp two times. The first time was when she was alone and a younger piggy, and the second time was today. It usually happens at night when everything is quiet. We just got back from our vacation and I set up their permanent cage again.

(I totally appreciate piggles waking me up from my sleep with her alarm sounding chirps)

The stress from the 9 hour car ride back home and then being put in a freshly cleaned cage that doesn't smell like them anymore seemed to have been the cause. However it is possible that piggles might be coming back into heat at the same time, so maybe it could be a mix of both.

My thoughts: I think it means their frightened, uneasy, stressed, or in heat.

(Random post)
I've only heard piggles chirp two times. The first time was when she was alone and a younger piggy, and the second time was today. It usually happens at night when everything is quiet. We just got back from our vacation and I set up their permanent cage again.

(I totally appreciate piggles waking me up from my sleep with her alarm sounding chirps)

The stress from the 9 hour car ride back home and then being put in a freshly cleaned cage that doesn't smell like them anymore seemed to have been the cause. However it is possible that piggles might be coming back into heat at the same time, so maybe it could be a mix of both.

My thoughts: I think it means their frightened, uneasy, stressed, or in heat.

Chirping is still a not properly solved mystery but it seems to have a situational link to a feeling of uneasiness or tensions in the group.
Chirping

I'm really not sure! I've had some pretty frequent chirpers and it seemed pretty random, from my perspective (not usually related to cage cleaning, being in a new place, etc. One of my current pigs used to chirp quite often when she was young, but I haven't heard her do it in six months or so (she turned one in May.) She's a really bold, active pig. My other regular chirper in the past was a cautious sort. I'm interested if humans ever figure this out, I definitely have not been able to over the years!

Back