My sows are acting weird.

• Thread starter Thread starter mamapie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mamapie

They're coming up to 10 months old, I've had them for 2 months. In the past week they are constantly fighting. Headbutting, kicking, nipping at each other. The more submissive one is no longer sleeping in a house (she has 3 to chose from so it's not a case of being kicked out) she'll only sleep under a pile of hay.

Why would they have suddenly started to fight? Why would one refuse to go inside when she's previously loved it? Her preferred sleeping place was a fleece cosy and her sister isn't in it so she isn't being driven out.

I'm getting really worried! Could the fighting accelerate? So far there have been no actual injuries - but could there be? Could it get worse when it hasn't been there before? Not sure that makes any sense!

Ahhh poor sow !
At this age i think its the teenage stage but I'm not sure if this includes for sows but it looks as though it does for yours ~ If it carries on and does get any more aggressive then id sugegst you separate them for the better but at the moment i wouldnt as they may of just had a little fall out like us humans do ::)

I know your worried but try not to be frightened for them theyll soon sort it out by themselves :D

have they got a big enough hutch/cage as space is important when they need to run around if they ever get chased or have a little squabble ;)

This can happen with guineas....

The first thing I always say is to check the sexes :)

I wouldnt seperate them unless they actually draw blood. They will hopefully just sort it out themselves...

Like has been said, space is a key factor in keeping your guineas happy :)

Yes - I have 2 and that's their cage! We got one larger house and 2 smaller cosys now as they seem to prefer that - or at least they did! We've been to the vets a couple of times and their both girls.

I guess I that I should just keep an eye on them. When the more dominant one (Natasha) starts on the meeker one (Sparky) I (or my husband) say "Natasha" in a really low voice like we do with our children and she just looks round and freezes. Thing is we aren't always here!

I think I may know why it is...have you just put them in their new cage? With my boys, when I changed their accomodation they had a scrap that lasted several hours! Larry was absolutely worn out, poor thing. In the end, they both flaked out and slept ;D
I think yours are re asserting themselves because they are in a new home. They will settle down, let them get on with it.

They've been in there for 2 months now, the only thing that was different around the time they started acting weird was that we gave them a bath! Natasha loved it, Sparky hated it. Can giving them a bath make them fight and Sparky refuse to sleep in her house?

Honestly I though guinea pigs would be so straight forward but it's like having a new born baby all over again! 98) :smitten:

There doesnt have to be a reason, they could just be in heat :)

Its not anything to worry about, totally normal :)

can I be really dim being fairly new to this and ask how often they go in heat? :)

I guess so - how often are they in heat? How long does it last?

Space - the final frontier? I don't think so, obviously the depths of the guinea pig psyche have been grossly underestimated. They are a true mystery...

Yes it could be the heat season and probably just want to attract each others attention without any possibility ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back