• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My poor girl is acting really disorientated and very wobbly? 😔 and we've been the vets so many times, can someone please help us.

Waffles&Floki

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Ugh. I'm frantically annoyed, I really truly am.
The amount of vet visits we've been to over these last few months, and yet she's massively suffering right now and has been suffering for months; background -

- It first started with hearing distressing noises out of her, sometimes during the day, not all the time, like every few hours, but mostly during the night, the noises were very unsettling and causing me a lot of worry. It sounded like she was in pain, and it seemed to be after she had food and I think she squeals/moans/is in pain when she's having bowel movements/urinating. Her poos had been quite wet, but that seemed to be with urination and there was a lot and still is.

I took her to the vets over this, the first vet gave her an examination and examined her abdomen and said she was in pain there, like I'd suspected. Waffles was given Loxicom, this didn't help so we went back. The vet gave her loxicom, and tramadol, this didn't help so we came back. I said she's still in pain even with the pain killers, it seems to take the edge off slightly for her but it doesn't take it away. So she got an xray, which shown a bladderstone which was extremely small. So, we assumed her issues were from having a bladderstone. The vet said to change her diet and make it a more watery one so she can urinate more, and hopefully have it pass naturally. This was done, and the noises from her became even worse and really concerning. Waffles would wheak away and demand for her salads and veggies, but as soon as she'd have them, not long after she'd be screaming and moaning. I didn't like this, and she was getting wetter on her bottom and I was having to give her a bath once a week due to the urination and staining on her white fur at the bottom; as she's long haired. The less veggies/salad I gave her, the less pain she seemed to be in; but again it didn't stop her being in pain, as she'd still make the noises during the night.

I discussed this with the vet, we gave her another xray and the bladderstone was barely visible, bit still there. The vet assumed it would still be this that's the cause, I discussed to the vet my concern over the pain she's in, and the specifics of where it is, making her aware that when you're near that area, she'll squeal in discomfort. The vet examined her abdomen, and said Waffles was being dramatic... I don't believe her for one second, I know my girl - she doesn't squeal for no reason, it's when she's being pressed in her stomach and that causes her to squeal, or touching against her sides. I know for a fact she's in massive discomfort. The vet said to continue giving her the liquidy diet, the loxicom and to see how she gets on in a month or 2.

Now, we are just over a month and she took a turn for the worst two days ago. At first, I thought she was just being sleepy and really tired so I was letting her rest. I then got her out to have a cuddle, see how she is. My god, I was heartbroken. She wouldn't move, and she's become massive on her sides, one side more than the other. She wouldn't walk, or eat, or drink. When I put her back into her cage, to see if she could walk, she flopped to one side. It absolutely terrified me. So I rang the vets to get her an emergency appointment for that day, which was yesterday.

I wanted to go to a different/better vet clinic that I already take my dogs to. So I rang them, got her registered, explained my situation, she then put me on hold, spoke to a vet, and then told me that they won't see her because she's already being treated at another vets. I was livid, I really wanted her to be seen by them. Waffles usual vets were due to closing, so I had to ring the out of hours service and take her to an emergency clinic, costing me £202 - and it's not even resolved anything. I wasn't able to go with her, as I had to stay home as I've got a poorly dog too, and a recovering degu who was poorly but is coming round on the mend. (I know, I feel useless if I'm honest and such a let down, my degus been going the vets, aswell as my dog, and my guinea pig) so, I was able to speak to the vet over the phone whilst Waffles was there, as my friend took her for me.

I discussed with this vet, that she's been making very distressing noises for the last couple of months, that she's had 2 xrays, showing a bladderstone but I think it's something unrelated, and something else aswell as that. I told this vet that she's in a lot of pain in her stomach area, and that she'll squeal because of it when you touch her in that area. I also said she's not able to walk, drink, or eat, and that she's wobbling everywhere and flops to one side. This vet again, told me Waffles wasn't in any pain?! I don't bloody get it. I know she is. She said it could be from the gas, and that she's lively and okay.. I was confused thinking, how's she lively? (I'm thinking it might be due to to all the noises she was making) so I got my hopes up, thinking she'd be lively and walking about when she'd got back; but no- absolutely still the same. She still can barely move about, and when she does she's struggling and I don't understand why. It seems like she's in another world, her head wobbles a little bit all over, she leans a little bit when she's moving, and she just keeps slouching out the hay. She seems really disorientated, and spaced out. Is it her brain? Is it neurological? I've only got these two videos at the moment. I'll post some better ones as soon as I can, I just couldn't at the time as it was too heartbreaking and I was crying my eyes out.

Anyway, this vet suggested to get her on critical care, continue with loxicom, and now give her Metoclopramide 1ml x2 daily for the next 3-5 days and see how she is, as this vet has said she's possibly got elius and bloating, but I think there's more to it. She's still the exact same today, I'm about to get her out for floor time as I clean her cage to see how she is/walks. Hoping I don't cry my eyes out.

okay, so I'm getting fed up as I've just trimmed like 5 videos to 10 seconds each and it still won't let me saying something about an extention, I've got cages to clean and dogs to take out so I'll do it as soon as I can if I can. As it would help for you to all see.

I’m so sorry to hear of her pain.

Regarding the video. We cannot host video directly on the forum (it’s an expensive thing to be able to do and given the forum is run entirely on member donation, funds don’t run that far) so you need to upload the video to YouTube first and then post a link to it here.

The bladder stone. They don’t disappear. A very small stone in a sow may be able to be passed but often they need removal via surgery.
Is the stone blocking any urine flow at all?

Bloating is painful and the advice for that would be to remove veg from the diet along with meds and the usual home care steps (daily weight checks, syringe feeding). It can be secondary to another health issue though.

Are there any other vets in your area who may be able to help?

All we can really advise is that you continue with the all important home care of daily weight checks and syringe feeding critical care to ensure her weight remains stable if she is not eating hay.

Emergency and Crisis Care as well as Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures
Digestive Disorders: Not Eating - Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement)

Recommended Guinea Pig Vets

Back