My piggy refuses to be picked up

Piggly&Weeny

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Since getting Weeny in October last year she has never liked being picked up. If you try to just pick her up she runs away and squeals really frantically, it's impossible! We started to train her to go into an upturned hut, entising her with food but eventually she got savvy to what the hut meant and stopped going in. We then tried a fabric triangle tunnel, again entising her with food at one end to get her to go in, but again she has become aware of what it means and won't go in.
Is there anything else we can try that makes the whole experience nicer for her? Now that it's getting nicer weather I want to put her outside on the grass but it's impossible.

Note: Weeny is currently a lone pig, we sadly lost her sister earlier this year and although I know its not ideal we didn't want to get another if we could help it. She seems to have taken well to being alone, so we decided not to get another. She behaved like this from the moment we got her, even with the other piggy present so I don't think it's a case of being scared as a lone pig.

What I used to do with my boys was put a carrier in the cage but use my hands to guide them (never actually touching them) and using other hides to make a kind of wall, so they had no choice but to go into the carrier as it was the only place they could be herded to. Over time they have learnt that the carrier means run time and they do voluntarily walk into it now. Wasn’t a quick thing for them to learn though.

Back