• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My piggy keeps popcorning in his sleep?

Kyler06

New Born Pup
Reaction score

Right, I tried to see if I could put the video, but I don't think I can 😅 ill do my best to try explain it.

So basically I have a 6 month old abysanian (forgive me if I spelt that wrong) called Oreo! He's an amazing wee guy, and my best friend.

Now me and my partner have an amazing bond with this little guy, he's sleeping on my chest, completely stretched out as I type. This isn't uncommon. He does this all the time. He'll flop over to his side, close his eyes and sleep away on us. However, he has a habit of active dreaming? He'll be happily sleeping away on us, and out of nowhere, he'll popcorn almost? Coming flying at out faces. Although he's still sleeping while he does, so it's very uncontrolled popcorns. I'm just worried, because I've heard guinea pigs, do dream, but ive also heard they don't? The vet doesn't think there's anything wrong, I mean other than the sleep popcorning he's perfectly fine. He's eating and drinking perfectly. He's passing urine and his bowls absolutley fine, he's playful as ever, and lives winding up me, my partner and my other 2 guinea pigs. His attitude is still the same. The sleep popcorning aside, he's perfect in every way! But I'm just concerned incase it's a neurological thing? I've hear of them twitching their ears, little leg twitches, etc, But not full on popcorns where they're absolutely launching themselves in their sleep?

Just wondering if anyone has any advice or know if I should try take him to the vet again or not.

Never heard of Sleep Popcorning but my Rainbow Piggy Pretty Patsy used to rock gently backwards and forwards when she was fast asleep.

Back