• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My piggies have been without hay for a day

KorgMiekBarneyRalph

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new around here and just need some advice.

My partner and I have 4 Guinea Pigs and she primarily cares for them. She has gone away with family for a few days so I've been left to look after the pigs. I went to give them their veggies this morning and seen that they had not devoured all of it which was unusual. It suddenly dawned on me that I hadn't topped up their cage with hay. I'm well aware of how careless and there is no excuse for it. I'm panicking because I'm not entirely sure how long they've been without enough to eat (I think more than one day, sadly). I put a load in their cage and they're all munching it down. Do you think everything will be okay?

I apologise thoroughly again, these little guys don't deserve that.

Many thanks!

Hello and welcome to the forum.

As long as they all look ok and are eating now I’d just keep a very close eye on them for a day or two as their guts run a couple of days behind.

It you notice them looking withdrawn and not acting normally I’d get them checked out for gut stasis as soon as possible.

Make sure the hay is topped up at least twice a day from now on.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

As long as they all look ok and are eating now I’d just keep a very close eye on them for a day or two as their guts run a couple of days behind.

It you notice them looking withdrawn and not acting normally I’d get them checked out for gut stasis as soon as possible.

Make sure the hay is topped up at least twice a day from now on.
Hi weepweeps!

Thank you very much for the reply!

I'm keeping a close eye on them. They're currently popcorning and diving into the pile of hay so hopefully they're all happy now!

Yes, I definitely will from now on

Thanks again :)

Back