My pig won’t eat vegetables

Snowflake

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have a 10 month old female who I’ve had for a week. She’s bonded with my neutered boar and they get on great. She is perfect in every way but she has no interest in vegetables. She’s out on grass most days and eats the grass fine. If I cut grass and put it in her cage she won’t eat it. She and the boar eat hay together. She eats dried forage and nuggets but that’s it. Do I just keep persevering with it?
I put the veg in all corners of the cage but she has no interests in it and eats the hay.
Her teeth are fine, weight normal. And vitamin c she’s getting in the grass. She did live out but at the mo she’s indoors until it gets warmer at night. Could it be she’s still getting used to her new home, surroundings, and her new mate?
No aggression with them. They eat, sleep, and groom each other.
Any advice much appreciated.

Yes she could still be getting used to the new environment.
The fact she is eating grass and hay is obviously brilliant. Do you know whether she had veg in her previous home?

Which veggies have you offered? Usually the best veggie is the one in the other piggy's mouth, but maybe they're just not what she's used to.
Chicory, chard, basil, coriander, pepper, cue, celery, long green beans, broccoli, romain lettuce, parsley she (nibbles it. )

Are any of the veg above ones she ate in her previous home, if you know? And was she living with other piggies?

That’s quite a lot of variety to offered in just a week. It can take multiple tries of the same thing.
I would stick to the basic four - cucumber, lettuce, pepper, coriander - and see what happens after a week or two of just those.

Omg how weird... just put a carrot in and she’s snatched it out of my hand and is eating it👍👍

I would try not to encourage her eating sweet things - fruit, carrot, corn on the Bob/baby corn if she’s not eating the staple recommended veg.

Sounds like she's got a sweet tooth ... they were probably giving her things like apple and carrot, which are more treat than staple ... She probably likes peas, too.
You could try some different lettuces ... if she won't go for romaine, maybe something like green leaf, red leaf, or butterhead would be to her taste, and you can work towards romaine ...

I tried out different veggies with my piggies, I first tried cucumbers, and they love it, then I tried tomatoes, and they hated it. They loved bell peppers, too! Every Guinea Pig is different so you should try to see what they like. Because you've only had her for a week, you need to give her a little time to find out.

I tried out different veggies with my piggies, I first tried cucumbers, and they love it, then I tried tomatoes, and they hated it. They loved bell peppers, too! Every Guinea Pig is different so you should try to see what they like. Because you've only had her for a week, you need to give her a little time to find out.
Thank you

Sounds like she's got a sweet tooth ... they were probably giving her things like apple and carrot, which are more treat than staple ... She probably likes peas, too.
You could try some different lettuces ... if she won't go for romaine, maybe something like green leaf, red leaf, or butterhead would be to her taste, and you can work towards romaine ...
Thank you

Back