• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My Pig Pixie isn't herself.... Some Advice needed please asap

• Thread starter Thread starter pixie pig
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pixie pig

Hi, i'm new to the forum, just found it while searching for a piggy forum anyway, I went out to feed my buns and pigs last night and pixie wasn't there squeaking away for food and i noticed not all her carrots or cabbage were eaten. She eats them really fast normally. I brought her in in a carrier to see how she goes and today she's pretty much the same but with a little white crustyness on her nose and her body feels a tad cool. My vets are closed today until tomoz at 2pm so i'm after any advice as what to do until then please?

I would give her a general check over. Hope she is okay, make sure she gets food and water even if you have to syringe feed her

I've picked her up and she seems "uncomfy" it's the only way i can describe it, she has dry food and i'll try her with some vege too. Was thinking about making up a hot water bottle wrapped in towels?

As Gpd says, it is vitally important that she eats. Their systems shut down very quickly if they dont. Keep her inside if you can to keep a close eye on her. Mush up some of her dry food in hot water to consistency of thick soup and leave to cool down ntil it is luke warm then either syringe feed her or use a teaspoon. Cut some veg up very small and hand feed her and try offering her some hay too. Dont forget water in syringe also..very important.

Go out and pick loads of grass, its the best thing for off coloured piggies and try and get her to eat it

I think she has bloat, i gave her a tiny bit of banana and she ate it then went all funny like she has trapped wind and it won't budge, i've wrapped her in a blanket and she's moving about a bit trying to get comfy, would pineapple juice help to move anything as she hasn't pooped yet.

You really need to get her to an emergency vet asap,if this is bloat it is an emergency.

Give her one ml of olive oil or liquid paraffin,and massage her tummy.,but expert treatment is needed here.

i have some liquid parafin here somewhere, but i can't take her to the vet till tomoz, i haven't got over £100 for the call out charge then whatever on top :(

I understand your position,it is a lot of money.The problem is that bloat is very painful and very life threatening.
Are the piggies sides distended?,and is he fidgeting his backside as if he is uncomfortable?
You say there is discharge round the nose,could be a urti,or it could even be a dental problem if he is not eating.Either way,I am afraid expert advise is needed,because we cannot diognose without seeing the pig,but this does sound worrying.

Hi love, how is Pixie doing? We're hoping she's feeling a bit better and that you've been able to see a vet, or at least get some advice from them :)
Crossing our paws for Pixie :smitten:

Welcome and let us know how you've got on with Pixie.
Anne

PLEASE do not give a bloated pig banana - EVER! Bananas are a common cure for diarrhoea and can cause horrible constipation if fed to a guinea either as a new food or in excess. For bloat it would only make the problem worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back