• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My new piggie not eating...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi all, I am worried about my 6 week old male piggy. I got him today and while I can totally understand him wanting to hide because he is nervous, he hasn't eaten a thing or even had a drink of water. I cuddled him a a snuggle bag and tried to tempt him with a tiny piece of cucumber but wasn't interested. Is this normal? I left him quietly in his hutch for ages and he has just hidden under the hay all this time :'(He was fine when my partner got him, he chose him because he ran to investigate him and was very lively.

Bear in mind he's been taken from what he knows to a strange place. Give him a day or two and he'll soon come out of his shell :)

I thought that but because he is so little, will not eating or drinking make him ill?

No, he'll eat when he's hungry. New Guinea Pigs normally need a couple of days or to settle in and to get used to their new surroundings, so I wouldn't worry too much. This has happened to me in the past and I was really worried but within a couple of days they gradually started eating more.

Ok thank you! Just panicked a bit I guess. I will let you know how he gets on. Do you think I sould wait a while before bonding him my my 6 month old piggy? Let him settle in and such like? He is in a seperate hutch at the moment and Lennie doesn't seem to have noticed him!

Hi how's your little one doing now? I do hope that it was only him adjusting to his new surroundings :-\
Give him an extra cuddle and kiss from us :-* :-*

He probably nibbles when your not around, remember he's only tiny so anything he eats will go unoticed because it is a small amount. You could try him outside the cages with Lennie and some food you might be surprised that he will follow what Lennie does, babies usually do

Hmm our new bunny is like that too,shes hardly eating,just lil bits when we're not around :(

When I got my guinea pig, he did not eat hay, pellets or anything not even water. However now I've had him for 8 months and he loves to eat! So give your piggy some time and he will eat. He's just adjusting to his new surrounding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back