My New Guinea Pig, Henry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caitlin

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone! My name is Caitlin and yesterday I decided to introduce a cute little piggy into my life. I named him Henry, although I haven't properly sexed him/her yet. I haven't wanted to bug my piggy too much as it settles in.

I know that you're supposed to get two, and I feel bad, but my boyfriends parents (Henry is living with my boyfriend) only wanted one. They said that if Henry gets really lonely we can get him a little friend.

I think that we are going to bond really fast. At the pet store I placed my hand in his cage, and he slowly came up to me and nibbled on my finger. He also grabbed a little piece of hay from my fingers as well. Here is a picture of him (he is in his box I took him home from the pet store in):

2zreqoi.jpg

He is a little abby and I absolutely love him already! It looks like he has a little mohawk, which is so cute. He is all set up in his cage, and once he got all comfy in his new cage he started popcorning a bit. I was so happy that he liked his cage.

It is a pet store cage, and I know that that isn't the best for little piggies. Eventually I'm planning on expanding to a C&C cage when my boyfriends parents get used to having Henry there. I've found where I can get all of the supplies. I'm planning on taking him out a lot for floor-time when he gets more used to his surroundings. Here is a picture of the cage (on the floor, we eventually moved it up onto a dresser):

rj0b5x.jpg

I have a quick question though -- I bought timothy hay for him, since I read alfalfa hay is only for babies and pregnant guineas. However, is he still a baby? I forgot to ask how old he was before I left the pet store, but I'm going to drop into the pet store later today and ask. He looks pretty little, and I want to make sure he is eating the proper hay.

I also need to buy him new food and bedding. The food that came with the cage is the type where it has a bunch of different shapes and colours, and I don't want him to start selectively eating. Any recommendations? I live in Canada, and the pet store I go to is PJ's Pets.

EDIT: I've been reading some other threads here and apparently it is a good idea to get him a little plushie to snuggle with. I'll look into getting him one :) Also, I was wondering if I should put fleece or some bedding fluff to put into his little igloo?

Last edited:
Hi! Henry is a little stunner, and I can imagine why you have fallen for him.

Please get your bf and his parents to accept a same sex companion for Henry. It really is important for his welfare and the extra space for two guinea pigs is not much more than for one.
Show them this article from the best medical website for guinea pigs: http://www.guinealynx.info/companionship.html

Timothy hay is perfectly fine as long as he's got access to unlimited pellets while he is growing up quickly; don't feed him a dry mix/muesli, like he has come with. Unfortunately, I can't give you recommendations for Canada, but perhaps our American members can. Oxbow products are certainly available via the internet. They are high quality, but also correspondingly expensive. You start very gradually reducing the pellets very gradually once his current growth rate is starting to slow down betwen 4-6 months old. Fully grown adult piggies from 15 months onwards only need about 1/2 to 1 handful of pellets. Please weigh Henry weekly; it is an important tool in monitoring his health!

Make sure that you put some money aside every week towards vet cost, which can be very expensive; this even more so as you depend on the goodwill of your bf's parents. You do not want to end up not being able to afford medical treatment when necessary!

love abbys especially gingers. I agree with trying to get them to let you get a friend, show them this thread. Their behaviour changes so much.

I have some more pictures of Henry! (they're kinda huge, sorry)

IMG_3747.jpg

IMG_3763.jpg

I have some more questions though. I've found it difficult to have floor time with him, since every time I take him out he seems to just sit there. I give him some lettuce and he eats it but doesn't do much else. Is it because he doesn't have another guinea pig to spend time with?

They got more guinea pigs at the pet store I went to last time, and I saw one I really like and I'm thinking about getting it so that Henry can have a friend and hopefully become more active and happy. Here's some pictures (sorry that they're a little blurry):

IMG_3808.jpg

IMG_3809.jpg

I sexted Henry and I'm 99.9% sure that he is a male. Would you guys help me sex him if I posted a picture of his... well, private parts? I don't want to have any guinea pig babies pop up!

@madguinealady: they're cute! I especially like the gray one.

if you press gently just above the hole if it is a boy his willy will pop out. Do you already have him?He is stunning and yes if you get a good picture of his bits people will be able to give you there opinion

I have some more pictures of Henry! (they're kinda huge, sorry)

IMG_3747.jpg

IMG_3763.jpg

I have some more questions though. I've found it difficult to have floor time with him, since every time I take him out he seems to just sit there. I give him some lettuce and he eats it but doesn't do much else. Is it because he doesn't have another guinea pig to spend time with?

They got more guinea pigs at the pet store I went to last time, and I saw one I really like and I'm thinking about getting it so that Henry can have a friend and hopefully become more active and happy. Here's some pictures (sorry that they're a little blurry):

IMG_3808.jpg

IMG_3809.jpg

I sexted Henry and I'm 99.9% sure that he is a male. Would you guys help me sex him if I posted a picture of his... well, private parts? I don't want to have any guinea pig babies pop up!

@madguinealady: they're cute! I especially like the gray one.

Please post a picture and we will do our best to help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back