My lonely boar needs a friend

Beccav2320

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I have a lone boar (intact) due to a mix up with genders and having to rehome my other piggies.
I am worried about getting another male just incase it doesn’t work out again.

looking for advice on what is the best route to take? Getting another male so I have a pair of boys (but then the risk is they won’t )
Or should I get him neutered and get some females?

I really want him to have company but I’m worried about him getting injured or it not working out again

The best way is to take him dating at a rescue. But unfortunately with lockdown there’s none of that at all right now. I would still contact them to get on their waiting lists.

A boar pairing can work as long as they’re compatible. Same with a (neutered) boar/sow pairing. How long has he been alone? Good luck in finding him a friend.
Rescue Locator

Hi I have a lone boar (intact) due to a mix up with genders and having to rehome my other piggies.
I am worried about getting another male just incase it doesn’t work out again.

looking for advice on what is the best route to take? Getting another male so I have a pair of boys (but then the risk is they won’t )
Or should I get him neutered and get some females?

I really want him to have company but I’m worried about him getting injured or it not working out again

Hi

I am very sorry for your loss!

Could you please replace your place name with your county name so we can give you more local recommendations without having to google. We are all doing this for free in our own free time, so the more of that time is there for actual support and advice, the better. It is also better for your own protection. We are dealing with members and enquiries from literally all over the country and the whole world. it helps us you add your country and general area to get an idea where to point you and which conditions/medical brands to take into account with just a quick glance to the left.

Whether you prefer to try rescue dating or going down the neutering + 6 weeks post-op safety wait route is usually down to your vet and rescue access; not everybody has both within easy reach and the pandemic/lockdowns are not helping.

Here is our comprehensive neutering information, which you may find helpful in doing your research in this direction. A neutered boar would give you more options to find new company but it is not quite as quick and you have to have a vet you trust. Cross gender bondings are the most stable of all but there is the big hurdle of initial acceptance by the sow and mutual liking is still key to a happy bond.
Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths, Facts and Post-op Care
Vet Locator

Rescue dating your bereaved boar at one of our recommended vetted good welfare standard rescues to allow him to choose who he wants to get on with for a happy and stable bond is usually an excellent and quicker alternative but rescues are currently in lockdown conditions, too. They may however be willing to put you on their waiting list. Preference is usually given to bereaved piggies.
The advantage of adopting from one of our recommended rescues is that all their piggies undergo a mandatory quarantine/pregnancy watch, have access to any veterinary care needed and will only be put up for adoption once they are healthy and ready to go to a new home so you can neatly avoid all the usual pitfalls that await the unwary. it takes some extra effort and often a bit of travelling but it is usually well worth it.
Here is our recommended rescues locator: Rescue Locator
(Please note that the RSPCA will only date neutered boars/cross gender bondings and that the Blue Cross doesn't offer rescue dating but there are a number of private/individual charity good welfare standard guinea pig rescue that normally offer dating).

More information on the different pairings and their particular challenges: A Closer Look At Pairs (Boars - Sows - Mixed)

I hope that the information will help you to make an informed decision as to which route you want to go down.

The best way is to take him dating at a rescue. But unfortunately with lockdown there’s none of that at all right now. I would still contact them to get on their waiting lists.

A boar pairing can work as long as they’re compatible. Same with a (neutered) boar/sow pairing. How long has he been alone? Good luck in finding him a friend.
Rescue Locator

I have him on a waiting list already. He has been alone for 3 months now. I just don’t want to risk getting mother male and try that pairing rather thangetting him neutered and getting him two girlfriends. I just want some advice on which may be more successful in the long run. Thanks for your help

If you have a good vet that knows what he is doing then neutering is pretty safe (there is always a slight risk with any operation). I had my Ted neutered at 5 years old by a very experienced piggie vet and he was fine. He was then able to have the company of two wives after losing his brother earlier last year. It really depends on how you feel about putting an animal through an unnecessary operation health wise and weigh that up with need for company. A good rescue will offer boar dating, but many are not offering this service sadly because of Covid

Boar/sow pairings can be more stable. But you have to be aware that in all cases, they have to like each other. If you got him a pair of sows, they both have to like him for it to work. I just think you shouldn’t discount pairing him with a boar.

I was in exactly your position last year and rescued a pair of girls - who were dropped off at my house by blue cross. Zara hated my gentle boy and fought him. He had pigs-next-door until Flora arrived. She was a 'last pig' and they get on OK... he'd really like to live with Louise but Zara is such a complicated sow that I ruled out any 'swop' almost immediately. So now we have 4 guinea-pigs which is more than we'd planned and we only just have space. They are all delightful, but the big down for me is that for the first time 2 pigs here have to be penned in, to keep Zara away from George, whereas I usually have them bopping about in their own area but they can come out into our bit of the kitchen if they want to. Girls are no guarantee! Dating is the best way forward as he can pick his own partner and long term that's got to be better than making-do x

Back