• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My little Fawkes

• Thread starter Thread starter Ranuke
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ranuke

My little Fawkes has had a nightmare with the vets over the last week. He needed his back teeth clipped which i managed to get a rodentologist to do without having to 'knock him out' as he is 4 and had lost a lot of weight.

Does anyone have an idea for the dosage of Metacam for a 1kg piggie? Fawkes is still having trouble swallowing (his bottom teeth had pinned his tongue down) and i'm hopping its just because his tongue is still sore. I was advised to give him a small drop of metacam and i just wanted reassurance that i am giving him enough?

Hi, I'm so sorry to hear he has had such a rough time.

I have never used it but I know others have and I'm sure someone will be able to advise you.

Welcome to the forum too :)

Hi and welcome :)

Poor Fawkes. For every 500g it's 1 drop of metacam :)

So just under 1kg they can have 2. 3 at the most. But although my boy is just hovering over he has 4 drops twice daily.

Thankyou for the replies and the welcome :)

I'm having to take Fawkes to the vets again in the morning. I've had to syringe feed him since i got back from the rodentologist and he seems in a lot of pain and is now whimpering when i pick him up.

He's swallowing his food ok now but he is very lethargic and uncomfortable. The vets said i could increase the metacam to 2 drops a day but they wanted to see him first. In the mean time i've increased it as they suggested but it doesn't seem to have eased his discomfort.

I'm wondering now if its something more internal because apart from the syringe feeding he has hardly eaten in a week. The rodentologist was very good so i would be surprised if she missed a sharp bit of tooth. I know pig's digestive systems start shutting down if they don't eat enough. Could this be the problem? Does it cause them pain?

Sorry for the very long entry, but he's my little boy :'(

Yes, you must get him checked out by a vet. Where are you? There is a list of good guinea vets on the forum.

Has he got diarrhoea? That can happen with digestive/ teeth problems.

Do let us know how you get on. I'm sending the little one loads of :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Thanks for the :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I'm based in Wrexham. He hasn't been producing much waste and what is there has a bit of mucus. He has been impacted since he was a baby so its been an obvious reduction.

Poor little love. Do take him to the vet. I wonder if he should be having some probiotics if there is a lot of runny mucus?

Loads of good luck for Fawkes :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

have you got a pigture of him? :)

He's on probiotics too.

Thanks for caring. I'll keep you updated. I've got a picture somewhere in the computer

Hi there and welcome from OZ :)

Oh you poor little one sorry to hear you've been thru sooo much :'( :'(
I do hope you can get him to the vets asap and see if they can do something for him O0
We'll keep our paws crossed for you :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: lots of piggie kisses from Duke to help also :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Apologises to everyone. I have failed to keep you updated.

As sad as this is to say, I'm now waiting for Fawkes to pass away :'( Unfortunately the visit to the rodentologist didn't clear the tooth problem. Fawkes was then too sick to be put under anesthetic at the vets and the rodentologist has not been answering my calls >:(

I have an appointment with her tomorrow, but i have now been syringe feeding Fawkes for three weeks and i just can't give him all the nutrition and water he needs. I increased the metacam to three drops which seemed to ease his discomfort.

I was also advised to give him some oral thrush cream. I started this on Wednesday but stopped on Friday. Fawkes got awful diarrhoea, which i think has played a very large role in this steep downward spiral. It is now a treatment i would encourage people to use with EXTREME CAUTION!

Today he has stopped swallowing and is just lying his bed. He is very weak and it is proving impossible to get food or water down him without him choking.

I want to thank everyone for making me so welcome and i PROMISE to keep you informed on the situation. If the worst comes i will keep in touch, as you have not been introducted to my two Teasel crosses

oh sweetheart I am so sorry I hope he passes in his sleep , it seems you tried everything possible and its just his time to go, we all know how you feel we've all been in the same situation hugs to you and kisses for Fawkes :-*

So sorry to hear this. It is better for the little man to go quickly, keep him as pain free as possible :'(

Thank you everyone for the love :smitten: :smitten:

Fawkes passed away around midnight. We left him in his bed and checked him regularly. He seemed more comfortable there.

I'm sure he is happily running round in piggie heaven :smitten:

He was rescued from Pet At Home so i know he has had four years more life then he would have done :)

It would be nice to keep this topic open, something to remember him by and hopefully it can be used by anyone else who is having the same problem.

In the mean time i would advise everyone to find their local rodentologist, as they can examine teeth without anesthetic. The lady i used was based in Runcorn.

I'll be in touch soon x :smitten: :smitten:

I'm so sorry you lost him, but at least he passed in his bed, a place he was familiar with and didn't have to be pts at the vets xx RIP Fawkes xx Have fun at the bridge :smitten: :smitten:

So so sorry to hear about little Fawkes. He had such a lovely peaceful end to his life in his bed

Have fun popcorning at the bridge angel  0:)

I'm so sorry to hear your plight I'm thinking of you its such a nightmare when animals are ill

All the best xxxxx

Thankyou for all the love.

Its empty without Fawkes. But i have decided not get get any more piggies for a while. I currenly have two female Texels so they can have my sole attention for a while!

Thanks again

I'm so terribly sorry to hear the end to this story. I've been away for 3 weeks which is why I am late replying. Thinking of you.x

bless the the poor little thing,, the pain is no more, he can rest now.. sweet dreams little fawkes x

Thankyou again to everyone. You have all been very kind :smitten:

But move on we must :-\ My partner is an artist and she is going to paint a lovely picture for me to rememebr him by, which is something i'll always do :smitten:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back