• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My little Daisy is off balance

Cataz1

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello fellow guinea pig lovers,
I have noticed that my piggie, Daisy, has a balance issue. After doing some thinking and research, that she may have an inner ear infection. There is nothing visible that I can see in either ear. She scratches and shakes her ears then seems to fall off balance. She is eating little and slowly and is hiding andid staying in a back corner away from me for a couple days. 🥺
I made an appointment for tomorrow at the Exotic Animal Hospital, 1.5 hrs away. This Dr. Is very good with guinea pigs. Please have good thoughts for little Daisy. She is only 4 months old or so. I love her so much.
I will post an update tomorrow or Saturday.

Attachments

• 20240831_184910.webp
    20240831_184910.webp
    56.9 KB · Views: 3
I’m sorry to hear this.

Ear infections are very painful so it is probable her hay intake has reduced in response to her not feeling well.
Please switch from the routine weekly weight checks and instead weigh her daily, each morning.
This enables you to monitor hay intake, step in with syringe feeding a recovery feed and ensure you are syringing enough to keep her weight stable.

Let us know how you get on at the vet. I hope she is ok

Hi and welcome

I am very sorry. All the best for your trip to the vet tomorrow. My own piggy savvy vet is also an hour away but we have to give it another half hour during busy times for an earlier morning appointment.

As I know from my own experience, ear infections are extremely painful and also impact on your jaw movement and chewing, especially with hard food. I had to sip broth from the tip of a spoon because I could hardly open my mouth. Chewing was just too painful.

Please step in with feeding support until the pain and the swelling around the jaw joint has eased again and our piggy is happy to eat on their own.

You monitor the food intake on your kitchen scales b weighing first thing in the morning so you can plan for the day how much you need to feed over the coming 24 hours in order to ideally stabilise the weight loss as your priority during an acute illness.

This link here explains it all. It also contains a chapter on how you can improvise in an emergency.

Update: The Vet visit went well. The Doctor did a swab and cytology test, with no sign of an ear infection, parasites or ear mites etc, but after cleaning both ears(removed some wax from both ears) he saw some inflammation. Along with imbalance and a slight head tilt. She is on 2 liquid medications. One for inflammation and the other for Vertigo. They should make her feel better. Unable to see down in the ear canal unless the piggie is put under anesthesia to look with a scope. I am hoping it does not come to that or the x rays or CT scan (CT has to be done at a hospital 3 hours away). The doctor was honest and said that the x-rays may or may not show anything. And he also said sometimes x-rays give a false reading on such small animals. Please keep Daisy, and all other piggies in your prayers for healing with inner ear problems. 🥺
I want to thank all of you for advice for supplement feeding and weighing her. I can't believe she is going through this at 4 months old. I got her through her hay poke and now this.

I hope your boy is doing better and gets healed soon. What is your Vet doing for your boy, if I may ask?
He's on two antibiotics and a pain med.

He went kinda lame in his back legs because he was on a wrong antibiotic for a while. I have to clean him off twice a day because he doesn't move around much.

I had had X-rays done

He's on two antibiotics and a pain med.

He went kinda lame in his back legs because he was on a wrong antibiotic for a while. I have to clean him off twice a day because he doesn't move around much.

I had had X-rays done
What were the results of the x-rays? Oh I am so sorry for your boy piggie for what he is going through. This is terrible. I will keep him in my prayers. Poor baby.

Hi and welcome

I am very sorry. All the best for your trip to the vet tomorrow. My own piggy savvy vet is also an hour away but we have to give it another half hour during busy times for an earlier morning appointment.

As I know from my own experience, ear infections are extremely painful and also impact on your jaw movement and chewing, especially with hard food. I had to sip broth from the tip of a spoon because I could hardly open my mouth. Chewing was just too painful.

Please step in with feeding support until the pain and the swelling around the jaw joint has eased again and our piggy is happy to eat on their own.

You monitor the food intake on your kitchen scales b weighing first thing in the morning so you can plan for the day how much you need to feed over the coming 24 hours in order to ideally stabilise the weight loss as your priority during an acute illness.

This link here explains it all. It also contains a chapter on how you can improvise in an emergency.
Thank you, I will do what you suggested. ❤️

What were the results of the x-rays? Oh I am so sorry for your boy piggie for what he is going through. This is terrible. I will keep him in my prayers. Poor baby.
They showed an inner ear infection.

He's developed some lameness in his back legs because of it.

Hi

I am very sorry.

Here are our very practical care tips for guinea pigs with mobility issues on several levels, which you may find helpful:

As you are based in the USA, you and your vet may also want to consider a connection with the so-called CBS syndrome since the problem is clearly impacting further on the body than just the ears.
CBS is in Europe generally diagnosed as a walled-in middle ear infection, which is a result of un- or under-treated respiratory infection at the pet store/commercial supply breeder where lots of vulnerable, highly stressed youngsters are kept in close confines, including during transport to the various branches and lax welfare/trading standards controls. The middle ear capsules tend to gradually calcify more with advancing age but CBS seems to specifically affect younger adults where this should not be a problem and the calcification is much stronger than it should be at this stage of life. It can affect so many different part of the body but individual symptoms can vary widely.
The issue is currently rather rife in North America but comparatively rare in Europe due to higher standards and tighter controls.

Hi

I am very sorry.

Here are our very practical care tips for guinea pigs with mobility issues on several levels, which you may find helpful:

As you are based in the USA, you and your vet may also want to consider a connection with the so-called CBS syndrome since the problem is clearly impacting further on the body than just the ears.
CBS is in Europe generally diagnosed as a walled-in middle ear infection, which is a result of un- or under-treated respiratory infection at the pet store/commercial supply breeder where lots of vulnerable, highly stressed youngsters are kept in close confines, including during transport to the various branches and lax welfare/trading standards controls. The middle ear capsules tend to gradually calcify more with advancing age but CBS seems to specifically affect younger adults where this should not be a problem and the calcification is much stronger than it should be at this stage of life. It can affect so many different part of the body but individual symptoms can vary widely.
The issue is currently rather rife in North America but comparatively rare in Europe due to higher standards and tighter controls.
Thank you, I read all the information. Such great info to learn for any Guinea Pig owner.
Hi

I am very sorry.

Such great info, thank you. I think no matter what animal we buy, adopt, or get, be it dog, cat, small animal etc will have or can have an issue. Genetic or not. Thank you all for kind words and information.

Daisy is doing good. Eating and taking her medication. The medication stops on Monday.
I have noticed that she is lonely and depressed as she is by herself. I brought home a buddy for her today. Another female that is younger than Daisy.

Best wishes for her.

Well done on getting her a friend. Piggies, especially one of her age, should never be alone.

Make sure to read the bonding guides and carry out the introduction properly on neutral territory

Best wishes for her.

Well done on getting her a friend. Piggies, especially one of her age, should never be alone.

Make sure to read the bonding guides and carry out the introduction properly on neutral territory

I am glad that our guides are helping you.

Please double-check both piggies' gender and follow the advice in our bonding guide. You will find it very helpful.
We offer a second opinion sexing service but we encourage our members to learn what to look for inside the slit and what to feel for in the area where there really is only a yes or no beforehand. We want to enable as many owners to free themselves from having to rely on people who are expected to know but sadly far too often don't. Sexing guinea pigs is not the worst life skill to acquire. ;)

PS: We do have one of the most extensive information resources on here. Coming up to 20 years of forum of collectve forum experience and in some cases half a century of ownership has gone into them. We have tried to make them as easy to follow and as clear as possible. You may want to bookmark the link, browse, read and re-read at need as you will pick up on different things at different levels of experience or times.

All the best for your two girls. I hope that they will take to each other.

This forum have been helping me a lot with my tilt little clumsy boy and my cute little patottie boy. I wish the best for your two girls. If you have any questions, keep asking here, there are incredible people and advices that are extremely valuable.

This forum have been helping me a lot with my tilt little clumsy boy and my cute little patottie boy. I wish the best for your two girls. If you have any questions, keep asking here, there are incredible people and advices that are extremely valuable.
Thank you so much. I love this forum with all the info. Everyone seems so helpful and friendly here on the forum.

Thank you so much. I love this forum with all the info. Everyone seems so helpful and friendly here on the forum.

It is our explicit forum ethos to be friendly and supportive of both the owner and their piggies as well as providing good information. We are also a lively chatting community that is open for our members from all over the world and not just as a place to come for advice if wished. Those who feel at home here simply stay on. :)

We have a few quirks in terms of picture and video upload but not being part of social media and in full control of our own forum has allowed us to turn it into the place we always wanted it to be and to keep it like that. Our ethos is shared and carried by everbody who likes to hang out on our forum; it isn't just rules but something we all treasure and believe in. We are here for each other but there is no obligation to join that side. We are all doing this for free in our own free time and are run entirely on voluntary member donations but we do get a lot back in terms of community spirit.

In coming up to 20 years of forum existence with literally tens and tens of thousands of enquiries, cases and personal experiences, we have a collective resource and depth of practical knowledge and experience-based information that is pretty much unrivalled and that has fed into our various guides.

In the times of so much disinformation, bullying and outright hatred as well as online manipulation, having this little friendly space is becoming more and more important.

Back