My guniea pig has been alone for about 2 and half years.. should i get him a friend?

gopikaanil

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Tannie has been alone for 2 and half years.. i always keep him company so he doesnt get lonely.. but I'll be moving to canada in 3 weeks for my higher studies.. and I'm wondering if i need to get him a friend.. He's so close to me.. he sleeps with me,we go for walks, he trusts me a lot and can identify me even in sleep. I'm sure that my parents will look after him and pet him even tho he is not so close with them he can recognise them too.. when i try to play guniea pig noises for him he seems to be scared and comes to me. So if i get another will it scare him or will they fight? Or should i let him alone

Welcome to the forum

Guinea pigs are social creatures and do require the companionship of their own kind. Human companionship doesn’t compare I’m afraid.

Two piggies will not fight if they are compatible in character and want to be together. It is never too late to find a piggy a new same sex friend but you do need to make sure you find the right friend for your piggy, particularly if he has always been alone as he may have not have learnt the important social aspects of being a piggy.

If you were to buy another piggy - we would recommend rescuing rather than buying, but we appreciate that it’s not always possible - and they did not get on, then keeping them in separate cages but with the two cages side by side is a good way to provide the important companionship piggies need as they can interact through the bars but without having to share their territories.

The links below will provide further information to help

Companionship
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars

It is also important to follow the correct procedure for introducing piggies to each other and this guide explains how to do it
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Journey through a Lifetime: The Ages of Guinea Pigs

Last edited:
have a look for rescues that offer boar dating, good luck, he does need a little friend

Back