My Guinea Set-up

PollyThePiggy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So, I own one piggy named Polly and I am posting my cage set-up. I will attach pictures but first I must tell what they are ;). I do realize that my cage is very small and that many owners say they are terrible. However, I do not have room for a bigger one and she is only one guinea pig. Truth is, she is rarely in the cage. I am homeschooled so she is often running around while I work or playing on the floor while I read. She sort of has free run of the house with me watching. I am going to list the things I use for my cage.
1. Care Fresh badding for fewer allergies and it soaks everything up better
2. water bottle available at all times (of course)
3. Hay box around the clock and a pile of hay twice or three times a day
4. Pellets available
5. houses always varying from different boxes... (She has a pink igloo but it really wasn't for the guinea pigs likes just for cuteness -.- )
6. Lots of chew toys and chew treats
7. veggies and fruits (fruit only once or twice a week)
8. Dehumidifier
9. Grooming tools

IMG_0042.webp

IMG_0043.webp

IMG_0045.webp

IMG_0047.webp

IMG_0048.webp

IMG_0050.webp

IMG_0051.webp

IMG_0052.webp

IMG_0053.webp

IMG_0054 (1).webp

Your set up looks lovely, and it is clear that you really love your piggy and are doing a wonderful job caring for her.
The cardboard houses are great - mine love those too.

The things I would suggest would be:
To cover one end of the cage with an old towel or blanket, to create a bit of a cave like effect.
To consider adding a low platform to the cage so she has another level to explore (and then she can hide under the platform too).
I personally would remove the salt lick as you are already feeding a healthy balanced diet, and she shouldn't need any additional salt. We had a terrible case of an owner on the Forum actually loosing her guinea pig after it ate an entire salt lick.
I would also use the chew sticks one at a time as a very occasional treat (once a month or less), as they do tend to contain additional sugars disguised in the form of things like honey.

But really the most important thing you could possibly do for Polly would be to look into getting her a friend.
Guinea pigs really are happier when they have a companion of their own species to interact with.
If you are fortunate enough to live close to a good rescue they would help to pair Polly with another guinea pig, which would save you the uncertainly of buying one from a pet shop which could potentially be ill, mis-sexed or pregnant.

Polly is lovely. And it looks like you are doing a good job of caring for her. Like @Swissgreys has said Polly would probably love a friend.

Beautiful girl. She’s landed on her paws with you.
Nothing to add to what has already been said.

What a great set up you have for such a gorgeous piggy. Dennis would like to invite her to join his Stripey Nose Club. She'll get an invite from is thread in a mo!

Aww, she looks well cared for. I wouldn’t use the licking stone, I did for one guinea and she got a stone. Just advice to you as I didn’t know this years ago. My first guinea I named Polly 44 years ago, which I thought was a girl but was a boy but I kept the name, it was ok though as it was my only guinea. Enjoy her.

Your set up looks lovely, and it is clear that you really love your piggy and are doing a wonderful job caring for her.

To cover one end of the cage with an old towel or blanket, to create a bit of a cave like effect.
To consider adding a low platform to the cage so she has another level to explore (and then she can hide under the platform too).
I personally would remove the salt lick as you are already feeding a healthy balanced diet, and she shouldn't need any additional salt. We had a terrible case of an owner on the Forum actually loosing her guinea pig after it ate an entire salt lick.
I would also use the chew sticks one at a time as a very occasional treat (once a month or less), as they do tend to contain additional sugars disguised in the form of things like honey.

But really the most important thing you could possibly do for Polly would be to look into getting her a friend.
Guinea pigs really are happier when they have a companion of their own species to interact with.
If you are fortunate enough to live close to a good rescue they would help to pair Polly with another guinea pig, which would save you the uncertainly of buying one from a pet shop which could potentially be ill, mis-sexed or pregnant.
Thanks soo much for the help! The rescue closest to us only has two guineas both of whom are the biggest I have ever seen. I do not think it would work. ;( I am always keeping an eye out at the store but still, worries are abundant...

Aww, she looks well cared for. I wouldn’t use the licking stone, I did for one guinea and she got a stone. Just advice to you as I didn’t know this years ago. My first guinea I named Polly 44 years ago, which I thought was a girl but was a boy but I kept the name, it was ok though as it was my only guinea. Enjoy her.
Thank you all for that, I will definatly take that out now!

My grammpa wants to buy me a guinea from Petco which worries me but... Any suggestions on how to make sure she is healthy? I really DO NOT want my guinea to get sick ...

I would also agree to check Polly is infact a female too. as mistakes have been made too by pet shops.

A good way to increase her space would be to make a run out of c and c grids and attach it to the cage which you can leave open.

Good luck finding her a friend. Sounds exciting.

I think Swissgreys has said it all. I just had to say what a dedicated piggy slave you are, fantastic, Polly is Gorgeous.

Back