My guinea pigs won’t let me pick them up

Golins_guinea_pigs

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I had my guinea pigs for a month and a half. I just realize they may be 5 to 6 months old not 6 to 7. My guinea pig still won’t let me pick them up and will get mad at me if I try. Do you guys have any tips? Thank You!

Hello. It’s still early days. They will need a lot of time and patience and even then probably won’t ever be 100% happy to let you pick them up.

Do they come to the bars and take food from your hand? That is the first sign they really trust you. Talking to them softly also gets them used to you.

If you really need to pick them up, for their weekly health check, then use a carrier of some sort to pick them up in first.

I use this sometimes to catch my boys.

IMG_3855.webp

Good luck.

It is very normal for piggies to never let you pick them up and you actually you can’t ever expect them to want to let you. As prey animals being caught and picked up cuts into their prey instinct and is likened to being eaten.
I have four piggies, two of whom have been with me for nearly six years and they still don’t like it when I pick them up. The other two have been with me for over a year and they don’t like it either.

As they are taking food from you then they trust you so all is good with your bond with them.

As you need to be handling them every week for weight and health checks, the best thing as above is to them into a carrier and pick them up from there.

Not yet. They’re still get pretty scared. But I am going to let them when they get more comfortable.

Do they have an open topped playpen or open topped cage (c&c).

With it piggies my interaction with them is that I sit on the floor of their shed and they come to me if they want to. You could do the same thing just with them in a playpen

I started to sit with a blanket on my legs during floor time and armed myself with a few treats. It didn't take long before they were happy to climb on me, which is wonderful. eventually they were happy to let me pet them but I didn't push it.
One of my boys is a lap pig and he started by getting more settled on my legs until the glorious moment when he curled up and went to sleep ❤️
I don't think the other one will get to that stage but it's enough that he's happy climbing on me.IMG20230619191017.webp

The only thing is my guinea pigs get scared when they’re putting in a new environment. Should I keep trying until they get comfortable?

The only thing is my guinea pigs get scared when they’re putting in a new environment. Should I keep trying until they get comfortable?

It’s normal for them to be scared in a new environment - it’s all part of settling in. Make sure you use lots of double ended hides and if you use a playpen then and cover part of it with a sheet or blanket to offer security and make them not feel exposed from above

Back