My guinea pigs have been more aggresive since changing all the liners and hideouts....

Are they boys?
How old are they?

By removing all liners and hides in one go you have inadvertently removed all scent, made them to feel like it is no longer their territory and caused a round of dominance as they reestablish their relationship. This can go on for up to two weeks.
We advise that for young/teen boars the you only ever change half the fleece at a time ie use several smaller fleece liners to fill the cage so that you don’t have to remove it all in one go; or make sure you rub the new fleece with the soiled fleece to transfer the scents. That way you don’t cause this kind of reestablishing or at least minimise it.

Reacting to group or territorial changes: Dominance and group establishment/re-establishment

It is important that you don’t confuse dominance with aggression though. Dominance is normal and won’t break their bond. Actual Aggression will lead to fights and that means they are having problems and may need to be separated (permanently if a fight breaks out)

Are they boys?
How old are they?

By removing all liners and hides in one go you have inadvertently removed all scent, made them to feel like it is no longer their territory and caused a round of dominance as they reestablish their relationship. This can go on for up to two weeks.
We advise that for young/teen boars the you only ever change half the fleece at a time ie use several smaller fleece liners to fill the cage so that you don’t have to remove it all in one go; or make sure you rub the new fleece with the soiled fleece to transfer the scents. That way you don’t cause this kind of reestablishing or at least minimise it.

Reacting to group or territorial changes: Dominance and group establishment/re-establishment

It is important that you don’t confuse dominance with aggression though. Dominance is normal and won’t break their bond. Actual Aggression will lead to fights and that means they are having problems and may need to be separated (permanently if a fight breaks out)
There boys, I'm not sure the age as they were taken from an advert online and the person said "ive had them for a couple of months I dont know how long though" so I'm not sure

The advice to never remove all smells from the cage works very well. I have boars and I always do a half and half clean. I never replace hammocks, cuddle cups etc at the same time as fleece so they always have plenty of scent.
Do you have pictures for us to drool over?

T
Are they boys?
How old are they?

It is important that you don’t confuse dominance with aggression though. Dominance is normal and won’t break their bond. Actual Aggression will lead to fights and that means they are having problems and may need to be separated (permanently if a fight breaks out

The advice to never remove all smells from the cage works very well. I have boars and I always do a half and half clean. I never replace hammocks, cuddle cups etc at the same time as fleece so they always have plenty of scent.
hahhaha Thanks for the advice! Ill upload some photos to my google drive and send some over soon!

Had them for Just over 2 weeks now and there quite skittish so havent taken many pictures but heres some of my favourites :D

Attachments

• 1000029421.webp
    1000029421.webp
    54 KB · Views: 1
  • f364777a-72a2-4a52-8cfb-dfa209076ce1-1_all_18777.webp
    f364777a-72a2-4a52-8cfb-dfa209076ce1-1_all_18777.webp
    77.2 KB · Views: 1
  • f364777a-72a2-4a52-8cfb-dfa209076ce1-1_all_18525.webp
    f364777a-72a2-4a52-8cfb-dfa209076ce1-1_all_18525.webp
    30.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 1000031927.webp
    1000031927.webp
    72.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 1000031956.webp
    1000031956.webp
    18.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 1000029421.webp
    1000029421.webp
    54 KB · Views: 1
  • f364777a-72a2-4a52-8cfb-dfa209076ce1-1_all_18777.webp
    f364777a-72a2-4a52-8cfb-dfa209076ce1-1_all_18777.webp
    77.2 KB · Views: 2
  • f364777a-72a2-4a52-8cfb-dfa209076ce1-1_all_18525.webp
    f364777a-72a2-4a52-8cfb-dfa209076ce1-1_all_18525.webp
    30.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 1000031927.webp
    1000031927.webp
    72.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 1000031956.webp
    1000031956.webp
    18.3 KB · Views: 3
it’s advisable to not use single exit hides with boars as it can escalate tension if one goes inside and the other traps them inside it. Two door are always best.

Always make sure there are two hay piles.

It’s also best to not use food bowls. We advise scattering veg and pellets to minimise food hogging but also encourage foraging.
Id you are going to use bowls then ensure they are at opposite sizes of the cage

it’s advisable to not use single exit hides with boars as it can escalate tension if one goes inside and the other traps them inside it. Two door are always best.

Always make sure there are two hay piles.

It’s also best to not use food bowls. We advise scattering veg and pellets to minimise food hogging but also encourage foraging.
Id you are going to use bowls then ensure they are at opposite sizes of the cage
ah thanks. with the haypile and food they seem to share it but ill get another one and start scattering my food. any ideas of some good 2 door hides please?

ah thanks. with the haypile and food they seem to share it but ill get another one and start scattering my food. any ideas of some good 2 door hides please?

It’s good that they share it but best to get another anyway.

I use wooden bendy log bridges/tunnels (rather than hides)

Back