• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My guinea pig squeals while pooping!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
hi everyone! this is my first time here so i dont know how everything works yet but anyways...
my guinea pig Sookie<3 was bought from this pet store. i dont think the pet store took care of their animals that much because when i brought her home i noticed she was balding. i called the pet store and they were like ooh dont worry you just need to give her vitamin c. so i did and she looked happier because the pet store gave them no fruits/veggies and never refilled their hay. but the balding was still there so i took her to the vet and yes. she had mites. so i paid for the treatment and hopefully the mites wont come back! so i thought i was done with health problems but she started squealing while pooping, or trying to poop. the vet said she might be constipated (i felt her poop and it mushed right through) so is there any thing i could do for her so she can get better?

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

Lots of good hay and plenty to drink help with constipation however squeaking when pooing or peeing can be a sign of bladder stones and it's important to have your piggy seen by a cavy savvy vet to determine whether this is the problem, sooner rather than later. Once you have a diagnosis there will be a lot of support coming your way from the forum.

This is a list of vets in CA - hopefully one of them is close enough to you.

http://www.guinealynx.info/cabinet/index.php/Veterinarians_California

Do keep us updated, and when you can, a few pics of your piggy would be great.

Suzy x

thanks! i already went to the vet a few weeks back and she said she found nothing wrong with the underside and it may be constipation. she only squeals once in a while though. hopefully she gets better soon!

One of our pigs has also been crying when pooing since Christmas, however she does not cry with all poo's.

Over the past few months, we had an xray and an ultrasound to rule out stones - I would ask for this to make sure stones aren't present. Xrays can be done without GA, our vet performs them by giving the piggie a wiff of gas to make them drowsy if needed.

Crying when pooing may also be a sign of UTI, have you had the urine tested for blood and cultured to check for bacteria?

It turns out our pig has no stones or a UTI. Her bladder lining has thickened the vet thinks this is causing the pain when pooing. Her urine showed some crystals (Calcium Carbonate). We are concentrating on a low calcium diet and also using cystease to line the bladder. It appears to be working and she is hardly squeaking when pooing now (touch wood)

I would certainly get the tests done to rule out Bladder Stones first and get the urine tested.

Hope this helps and Sookie gets well soon

Hi! I am sorry about all the problems you are having. Sadly, they are not rare with animals from a bad shop.

I would have your piggy checked for UTI (urinary tract infection). Guinea pigs are very prone to it, and they can squeal when pooing as well as when when peeing. http://www.guinealynx.info/uti.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back