My guinea pig passed suddenly

LunarAndCosmos

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello all,

My guinea pig, Ophelia, died last night very suddenly. My mother went out to check on all three of them and found Ophelia lying still and struggling to breathe, or to even hold her head up.

She was very very ill, and upon holding her I knew she probably wouldn't make it. She died in my hands less than halfway to the vets.

I've had a guinea pig die before, 2 ½ ago. Her name was Lunar. Both her death and Ophelia's were at a relatively young age of about 3 ½ years old.

We originally got Lunar with her sister Cosmos, who is still alive today and apparently has 9 lives as she has faced a lot in her lifetime. She's on her way to be 6 years old next month, blessed thing. Ophelia also had a sister named Venus, who is also still alive and is keeping Cosmos company.

My guinea pigs are very important to me; we got them just before I turned 13, I am 18 now. Our reason for rescuing them was because of my autism, they were originally meant to be therapy pets and were not meant to be a responsibility of mine. I obviously took on the responsibility of looking after them and got better at it year on year.

Ophelia died very suddenly. Yesterday morning, I went out to give them food and Cosmos and Venus were acting normally, as was Ophelia, or so she appeared. She was sat up fine and looked generally okay, so I thought nothing of her being poorly at all and went to sixth form as normal.

It's thought that she might have had a stroke or a heart attack, which guinea pigs can apparently get for simply no reason at any age. She was also overweight through no fault of ours, as we fed her healthily just like the other two; she just didn't run around as much.

I'm just feeling a bit weird about her death. Lunar also died suddenly, but less so as she got ill beforehand, and died a couple weeks or so later. I feel less sad about Ophelia than I did about Lunar. I cried for about a week when Lunar passed. Ophelia has just left me feeling a little empty and strange.

My guinea pigs are very important to me, but I can't help but think I should've cried more at Ophelia's death, especially considering she died in my hands on the way to get her help.

Can anybody tell me why I feel this way? Does anybody have any advice on how to help how I feel?

I’m so sorry you have lost Ophelia. No one other a vet can find out a possible cause of death I’m afraid. They would have to conduct an expensive post-morten which may not be conclusive. They hide their illnesses so well.

Everyone deals with the death of a piggy differently. Don’t feel you have to cry or behave in a certain way. You love your piggies and that’s all that matters. Take care

Hello,

I am very sorry to hear of your loss. Unfortunately piggies can suddenly go down hill or pass away. They are such fragile little creatures that hide illness very well.

It sounds like she had a wonderful life with you and was very loved.

As for your grief, feelings experienced are unique and individual. You may find you experience a whole range of emotions, and all at different stages (or when you least expect). The numbness you feel now, is very common.
Everyone on the forum can sympathise with your grief, and please do come here to talk should you need to.

Thinking of you all at this difficult time

Sleep tight Ophelia 🌈💕

I’m so sorry you have lost your beautiful girl Ophelia, it’s so very sad and such a shock when they pass so suddenly like that. I lost one of my piggies a few years ago. Bill was 4 and very healthy but I found he had died overnight despite being perfectly well the evening before. We will never know what happened but it’s likely to be a very sudden illness and she will not have suffered. Take care as you grieve :hug:
Sleep tight Ophelia 🌈

I’m so sorry you have lost Ophelia. No one other a vet can find out a possible cause of death I’m afraid. They would have to conduct an expensive post-morten which may not be conclusive. They hide their illnesses so well.

Everyone deals with the death of a piggy differently. Don’t feel you have to cry or behave in a certain way. You love your piggies and that’s all that matters. Take care
Thank you so much, your reply means a lot

Hello,

I am very sorry to hear of your loss. Unfortunately piggies can suddenly go down hill or pass away. They are such fragile little creatures that hide illness very well.

It sounds like she had a wonderful life with you and was very loved.

As for your grief, feelings experienced are unique and individual. You may find you experience a whole range of emotions, and all at different stages (or when you least expect). The numbness you feel now, is very common.
Everyone on the forum can sympathise with your grief, and please do come here to talk should you need to.

Thinking of you all at this difficult time

Sleep tight Ophelia 🌈💕
Thank you so much, your kind words mean a lot. She was a very unique little lady and she often made us laugh, she was very special.

I’m so sorry you have lost your beautiful girl Ophelia, it’s so very sad and such a shock when they pass so suddenly like that. I lost one of my piggies a few years ago. Bill was 4 and very healthy but I found he had died overnight despite being perfectly well the evening before. We will never know what happened but it’s likely to be a very sudden illness and she will not have suffered. Take care as you grieve :hug:
Sleep tight Ophelia 🌈
I'm very sorry to hear about Bill, and I'm sure he feels completely at peace, having a lovely time at the Bridge.
Thank you so much for your kind words, they mean at to me.

It’s amazing how unique they all are. They are amazing little personalities 😍
She was all white, except she had the prettiest ginger and brown eye shadow; she was also quite chunky, and for a long time unnecessarily agoraphobic; she couldn't stand open spaces! She was sweet as anything though, she only wanted affection once you had her calm enough.

What sad news. I’m sorry you’re going through this, it must have been a real shock. It sounds like you gave her a fantastic, safe and loving home, which is all any pig can ask for, so be proud of that. She sounded like a lovely girl.

Grief is different each time and the feelings it brings can come in peaks and troughs. As others have said, there is no right or wrong way to grieve. You will feel whatever you feel and it’s perfectly okay if grief feels different for different pigs and different situations. You sound like a very compassionate piggy owner. Take care of yourself.

She was all white, except she had the prettiest ginger and brown eye shadow; she was also quite chunky, and for a long time unnecessarily agoraphobic; she couldn't stand open spaces! She was sweet as anything though, she only wanted affection once you had her calm enough.

Feel free to post a picture of Ophelia here if you feel ready to share ❤️

What sad news. I’m sorry you’re going through this, it must have been a real shock. It sounds like you gave her a fantastic, safe and loving home, which is all any pig can ask for, so be proud of that. She sounded like a lovely girl.

Grief is different each time and the feelings it brings can come in peaks and troughs. As others have said, there is no right or wrong way to grieve. You will feel whatever you feel and it’s perfectly okay if grief feels different for different pigs and different situations. You sound like a very compassionate piggy owner. Take care of yourself.
Thank you very much for your kind and considerate words, they're so very much appreciated

Awww. I’m so sorry she’s passed. She was a beauty. Shes enjoying the fresh grass over the bridge now.
That's if she isn't too agoraphobic at the open spaces!
Jokes aside, she's a lovely girl and she deserves the best, and I'm sure she's having a munch on the best grass there is.

That's if she isn't too agoraphobic at the open spaces!
Jokes aside, she's a lovely girl and she deserves the best, and I'm sure she's having a munch on the best grass there is.

Everything is perfect over the bridge. If she needs hides, then there will be hides. I truly believe this.

Hello all,

My guinea pig, Ophelia, died last night very suddenly. My mother went out to check on all three of them and found Ophelia lying still and struggling to breathe, or to even hold her head up.

She was very very ill, and upon holding her I knew she probably wouldn't make it. She died in my hands less than halfway to the vets.

I've had a guinea pig die before, 2 ½ ago. Her name was Lunar. Both her death and Ophelia's were at a relatively young age of about 3 ½ years old.

We originally got Lunar with her sister Cosmos, who is still alive today and apparently has 9 lives as she has faced a lot in her lifetime. She's on her way to be 6 years old next month, blessed thing. Ophelia also had a sister named Venus, who is also still alive and is keeping Cosmos company.

My guinea pigs are very important to me; we got them just before I turned 13, I am 18 now. Our reason for rescuing them was because of my autism, they were originally meant to be therapy pets and were not meant to be a responsibility of mine. I obviously took on the responsibility of looking after them and got better at it year on year.

Ophelia died very suddenly. Yesterday morning, I went out to give them food and Cosmos and Venus were acting normally, as was Ophelia, or so she appeared. She was sat up fine and looked generally okay, so I thought nothing of her being poorly at all and went to sixth form as normal.

It's thought that she might have had a stroke or a heart attack, which guinea pigs can apparently get for simply no reason at any age. She was also overweight through no fault of ours, as we fed her healthily just like the other two; she just didn't run around as much.

I'm just feeling a bit weird about her death. Lunar also died suddenly, but less so as she got ill beforehand, and died a couple weeks or so later. I feel less sad about Ophelia than I did about Lunar. I cried for about a week when Lunar passed. Ophelia has just left me feeling a little empty and strange.

My guinea pigs are very important to me, but I can't help but think I should've cried more at Ophelia's death, especially considering she died in my hands on the way to get her help.

Can anybody tell me why I feel this way? Does anybody have any advice on how to help how I feel
Hello all,

Can anybody tell me why I feel this way? Does anybody have any advice on how to help how I feel?
I just lost my Guinea pig today so I know the pain you’re going through. My Oreo suddenly passed away and I found him laying with his eye lids halfway closed. So sorry you had to go through this and I pray you will soon feel better.

I'm really sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, it's not uncommon to have a guinea pig who has not shown any signs of illness pass away suddenly. I've been there too, as have many others on this forum. Please don't beat yourself up for how you're feeling. There is no 'right' way to grieve. However you feel is legitimate. It may change over time, it may wax or wane, and however you feel right now is absolutely fine.

I know in the past I've lost pets where I was devastated, I've lost pets where I was sad but felt very at peace with their passing, and I've had pets pass abruptly where I really couldn't process it at the time because it was a shock. Any and all of these feelings are normal. Give yourself the grace to feel how you feel without judgment.

Again, so sorry for your loss and hope this helps a little bit. She looks like a lovely pig and it sounds like you gave her a happy life. ((HUGS.))

I'm really sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, it's not uncommon to have a guinea pig who has not shown any signs of illness pass away suddenly. I've been there too, as have many others on this forum. Please don't beat yourself up for how you're feeling. There is no 'right' way to grieve. However you feel is legitimate. It may change over time, it may wax or wane, and however you feel right now is absolutely fine.

I know in the past I've lost pets where I was devastated, I've lost pets where I was sad but felt very at peace with their passing, and I've had pets pass abruptly where I really couldn't process it at the time because it was a shock. Any and all of these feelings are normal. Give yourself the grace to feel how you feel without judgment.

Again, so sorry for your loss and hope this helps a little bit. She looks like a lovely pig and it sounds like you gave her a happy life. ((HUGS.))

Thank you so much for your lovely words and hugs, I will definitely take your advice on board

Back