• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My guinea pig keeps scratching

• Thread starter Thread starter r.j.a
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

r.j.a

Hi, My guinea pig keeps scratching and biting himself and I think it could be mites.
Has anyone had this problem, he looks fine and loves his food ?

You can buy a product called Xeno 450 (or Xeno 50 for pigs under 700g). This contains Ivermectin and is typically what the vets would give you if they chose to treat topically.

Whatever the method of administration, Ivermectin will need to be given in 2-3 doses, around 10 days apart; this ensures that the living mites and their eggs are effectively killed off.

I am going to try Beaphar anti parasite spot on, has anyone tried this ?;)

I have used it, it worked but Xeno has a more accurate dosage. I prefer Xeno, but the Beaphar did work so it may be worth a try.

Thanks ,I have to weigh the guinea pigs to make sure they get the correct dosage for there weight.;)

I think Howard has mites!

My Howard has the same symptoms as your little piggie. What did you use in the end as I think I need to get him treated. Vince seems fine, as unfortunately we had to separate my boys as they fought, but should I treat him just in case?

I used beaphar anti parasite spot on and this has slowed them down with there scratching. I have two piggies and I treated both.
I bought it on the internet £5.49 and this included delivery if you want the website I will email it to you..

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Beaphar for the Piggies. If it looks worse, I got to the vets. But, touch wood, never had to do this since summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back