• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My guinea pig is sneezing blood

lottie guineapigqueen

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I woke up this morning to find my boy, Rocket sneezing blood everywhere! I'm so shaky and I don't know why he's acting like this, as he was completely fine yesterday? He's going to the emergency vet in an hour and a half, but I don't know if there's anything I can do at the moment, other than stay with him. He's eating at the moment though, which I think is a good sign.? X🐹

Attachments

• 17009902295765416327140305928423.webp
    17009902295765416327140305928423.webp
    43.2 KB · Views: 3
I can't give you any advice I'm afraid, but I hope you get good news at the vets. ❤
If he's got a piggy friend, I'd recommend bringing the friend along too so they can support each other and reduce travelling stress.

Oh bless, keep him warm and give yourself extra time to get to the vets, especially as I always seem to forget I take longer to defrost the ca, Warm it up a bit first and secure the carrier using the seat belt.

I had this issue with Gibbs, turns out he’d been sneezing due to not my normal hay causing a small bleed, antibiotics and chucked the hay, recleaned, new hay, steamed his nasal passage too. However every situation is different.
Good luck 🤞

Attachments

• IMG_4222.webp
    IMG_4222.webp
    90.4 KB · Views: 4
I woke up this morning to find my boy, Rocket sneezing blood everywhere! I'm so shaky and I don't know why he's acting like this, as he was completely fine yesterday? He's going to the emergency vet in an hour and a half, but I don't know if there's anything I can do at the moment, other than stay with him. He's eating at the moment though, which I think is a good sign.? X🐹

Hi

Good that you have your boy seen promptly. That is a quite a bit of blood.

There can be an amazing range of causes for nosebleeds, from the most common bit of hay stuck or a hard stalk having caused a bad scratch/poke to some thankfully rare really whacky and tragic issues.

All the best.

I can't give you any advice I'm afraid, but I hope you get good news at the vets. ❤
If he's got a piggy friend, I'd recommend bringing the friend along too so they can support each other and reduce travelling stress.
Thank you, yes, his buddy Zippie is going with him, as he doesn't like traveling and they both get stressed when separated x

I'm glad that's what it was. I had a guinea pig do this a few years ago. He had a couple more smaller nose bleeds for a few weeks afterwards while the damage inside of his nose healed. Nothing like as much blood loss as the initial injury but concerning if you are not aware this can happen. Do consult a vet again though if it's heavy bleeding or worrying you.

Back