• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My guinea pig is rocking back and forth. and she rarely eats anything except some grass and greens.

somi

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi my guinea pig Apple has been rocking back and forth for 4 days now. She was completely motionless in her two back legs 4 days ago. I syringe fed her and constantly kept an eye on her. Now she can walk in her own but she keeps rocking back and forth. We don't have any exotic pet vets here. We have to travel more than 100 kilometres to visit a good vet. Please let me know what can I do .

Sorry to hear your piggy isn't well 🙁 it must be so hard when you don't have easy access to a good vet.
If you can get an appointment with any vet, it will be better than nothing, even if they can just give her a basic check over and give her pain relief if necessary. I understand its a long way but it is the best way forward.
How is she in herself?
Keep syringe feeding her.
It's good she has regained movement. I wonder if she could have had a stroke, but I would only be guessing.

Hi my guinea pig Apple has been rocking back and forth for 4 days now. She was completely motionless in her two back legs 4 days ago. I syringe fed her and constantly kept an eye on her. Now she can walk in her own but she keeps rocking back and forth. We don't have any exotic pet vets here. We have to travel more than 100 kilometres to visit a good vet. Please let me know what can I do .

Hi

I am very sorry for your situation. The rocking could be caused by a heart problem/failure but please accept that we can only guess without direct access to your piggy and that we can only go by our own owner experiences. None of us is a vet.
We also cannot tell you what has caused the back leg paralysis. There are too many potential causes but it is likely that the paralysis and the rocking go back to the same event.

All you can do for the time being is looking after your piggy, weigh her daily first thing in the morning on your normal kitched scales for best day to day comparison. Keep on support feeding as much as needed (keep in mind that over three quarters of the food intake is hay/fresh grass and hope Apple is going to make a recovery. Make sure that you also offer water from a syringe but do not squirt it in. Guinea pigs with limited movement can easily dehydrate if they are unable to drink from a bottle.

Here is our care advice for guinea pigs with mobility issues:

Sorry to hear your piggy isn't well 🙁 it must be so hard when you don't have easy access to a good vet.
If you can get an appointment with any vet, it will be better than nothing, even if they can just give her a basic check over and give her pain relief if necessary. I understand its a long way but it is the best way forward.
How is she in herself?
It's good she has regained movement. I wonder if she could have had a stroke, but I would only be guessing

How is she in herself?
It's good she has regained movement. I wonder if she could have had a stroke, but I would only be guessing.
Thanks for replying. She's moving and is being syringe fed but she's making some kind of slow grumbling noise. I'm guessing it's a respiratory problem. She's on my lap 24/7 now . Can't even take her to the vet. The nearest vet is 4 hours away and she would get sick on the way cuz of the mode of transport

Thanks for replying. She's moving and is being syringe fed but she's making some kind of slow grumbling noise. I'm guessing it's a respiratory problem. She's on my lap 24/7 now . Can't even take her to the vet. The nearest vet is 4 hours away and she would get sick on the way cuz of the mode of transport

Rocking is generally caused by a fluid build up in the chest, lungs or body; they all make the heart work harder and breathing more laboured. What only a vet can tell (even a general vet) is where the problem is located and how the heart sounds.

Rocking is generally caused by a fluid build up in the chest, lungs or body; they all make the heart work harder and breathing more laboured. What only a vet can tell (even a general vet) is where the problem is located and how the heart sounds.
We are taking her to the vet tomorrow. Meanwhile I noticed something. Her left back leg lays flat. I thought it was because she's weak . But I'm guessing she broke it or something? Idk how

Attachments

• 17286791472361452687464398006068.webp
    17286791472361452687464398006068.webp
    26.9 KB · Views: 1
We are taking her to the vet tomorrow. Meanwhile I noticed something. Her left back leg lays flat. I thought it was because she's weak . But I'm guessing she broke it or something? Idk how

Hi

It is not broken but more likely paralysed. If you gently pull it out behind the body and your piggy is not pulling it back under the body (which is an automatic reflex), then it is likely paralysed. Vets of mine have used this reflex to test whether and how much a leg was affected by paralysis.

Unfortunately, without access to your piggy all we can do is ask you to see a vet for the necessary hands-on examination.

All the best for tomorrow! I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited:
I hope so too, good luck. You are doing everything you can, please know that and try to comfort yourself.

Back