• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My Guinea pig has possibly had a stroke

Lovelypiggies

New Born Pup
Reaction score
A couple of days ago I went to feed my piggies and noticed that one of them had a head tilt (she had been fine in the morning only a couple of hours earlier). I took her to the vets as soon as possible and they gave me antibiotics to treat what they suspected was an ear infection. When we got back, I noticed that she couldn’t walk properly and was quite wobbly but still managed to get around (which could be a sign of an ear infection too). She’s now had two doses of antibiotics (out of 10 total doses so not expecting to see much difference yet) however I’m concerned that she’s had a stroke rather than just having an infection. I also don’t think she’s drinking water so I’ve been giving her lots of watery food (cucumber etc.) and trying to syringe feed her water. This is the only thing I’m really concerned about as apart from that, she seems quite happy and is still loving her food and her hay. She is 6 years old so quite elderly but she hasn’t ever been ill before. Does anyone think this seems more like a stroke rather than an ear infection?

I’m sorry to hear this.
I’m afraid we can’t guess whether it’s a stroke or ear infection - it’s for the vet to determine upon a hands on check.

What I would ask is if she is on painkillers? If it is an ear infection then it’s painful and she should be on painkillers.

Please ensure you switch from the routine weekly weight checks and instead weigh her daily (each morning) so you can monitor her hay intake more closely (you can’t tell a piggy is eating enough hay simply by watching them) and enable you to step in with syringe feeding a recovery feed if she loses weight. Losing weight means a piggy has stopped eating enough hay (even if they are still eating some).

You should return to the vet if you are concerned about her.

The guides below will also help you

All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures
Looking After Guinea Pigs With Limited or No Mobility

I’m sorry to hear this.
I’m afraid we can’t guess whether it’s a stroke or ear infection - it’s for the vet to determine upon a hands on check.

What I would ask is if she is on painkillers? If it is an ear infection then it’s painful and she should be on painkillers.

Please ensure you switch from the routine weekly weight checks and instead weigh her daily (each morning) so you can monitor her hay intake more closely (you can’t tell a piggy is eating enough hay simply by watching them) and enable you to step in with syringe feeding a recovery feed if she loses weight. Losing weight means a piggy has stopped eating enough hay (even if they are still eating some).

Thank you for your reply! Yes she is on painkillers and I’ll continue to give them to her. I’ll start weighing her daily and monitor her eating and drinking as best as possible. If she’s not better soon I’ll take her back to get checked out. Thank you :)

Thank you for your reply! Yes she is on painkillers and I’ll continue to give them to her. I’ll start weighing her daily and monitor her eating and drinking as best as possible. If she’s not better soon I’ll take her back to get checked out. Thank you :)

I hope she’s soon on the mend 🤞🏻

How is she at the moment? 💖
Thanks everyone for the kind words!
She seems to be doing quite well! She’s still struggling to walk a bit and her head is still tilted but she’s happily eating her hay and veggies as well as drinking water on her own. Somehow she doesn’t seem phased at all and is hopefully on the mend :)

I’m sorry to hear this.

My girl just has something similar happen, I’m so sorry, it’s very worrying.
A couple of days ago I went to feed my piggies and noticed that one of them had a head tilt (she had been fine in the morning only a couple of hours earlier). I took her to the vets as soon as possible and they gave me antibiotics to treat what they suspected was an ear infection. When we got back, I noticed that she couldn’t walk properly and was quite wobbly but still managed to get around (which could be a sign of an ear infection too). She’s now had two doses of antibiotics (out of 10 total doses so not expecting to see much difference yet) however I’m concerned that she’s had a stroke rather than just having an infection. I also don’t think she’s drinking water so I’ve been giving her lots of watery food (cucumber etc.) and trying to syringe feed her water. This is the only thing I’m really concerned about as apart from that, she seems quite happy and is still loving her food and her hay. She is 6 years old so quite elderly but she hasn’t ever been ill before. Does anyone think this seems more like a stroke rather than an ear infection?
My girl is going through the same situation right now, I’m so sorry.

The pain killers can sometimes upset their stomach if they don’t take food with them. When I give my girl her painkillers I make sure I feed her some of her favourite veggies right after and that can prevent any nausea which could be why she’s not wanting to eat!

Wishing you and your Guinea all the best. :)

My girl just has something similar happen, I’m so sorry, it’s very worrying.

My girl is going through the same situation right now, I’m so sorry.

The pain killers can sometimes upset their stomach if they don’t take food with them. When I give my girl her painkillers I make sure I feed her some of her favourite veggies right after and that can prevent any nausea which could be why she’s not wanting to eat!

Wishing you and your Guinea all the best. :)

Given guinea pigs need to eat constantly, it isn’t an issue for them to have painkillers at any time. They don’t tend to upset their stomach. The warning on metacam/loxicom that it should be taken with food tends to apply to cats.
Antibiotics can however upset their tummies.

Back