My guinea pig has become sensitive to touch

HannahCoxen

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I have a rescue Teddi & his younger brother Erik.

Last month the boys had mites which I’ve treated them for and look to have gone. Since then Teddi won’t let me stroke the top of his body, only his chin and belly. He’s always loved being fussed and now he hates it, like his skin has become really sensitive and just wants to stay in his cage. I’ve looked through his skin and can’t see anything.
Has anyone experienced this before? Is it a trust thing? Is there anything I can do?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Can you confirm that your piggies have had a full course of treatment prescribed by a vet. That is three separate treatments with two weeks between each treatment (so six weeks to fully cure). And that full cage disinfection has also taken place.
As mites aren’t visible to the human eye, just looking at them doesn’t confirm they are gone.

Can you confirm that your piggies have had a full course of treatment prescribed by a vet. That is three separate treatments with two weeks between each treatment (so six weeks to fully cure). And that full cage disinfection has also taken place.
As mites aren’t visible to the human eye, just looking at them doesn’t confirm they are gone.
Yes, I can confirm, they’ve had the full treatment and have thrown all of their previous cages toys, blankets, houses etc and replaced.
I have a light that the vet uses to see them and haven’t seen anything, or any debris which would suggest there are any

Back