My guinea pig died at the vet and my other Guinea pig doesn’t know.. what do I do?!

abimiy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, first time posting here so excuse me if I’m posting in the wrong place.

My 4yo Guinea pig has been sick for the past 6 months unable to eat and lost about 700g (the vet thinks it’s some type of cancer? I’ll add an xray photo for anyone curious). We rushed to the vet when I was going to syringe feed him but he couldn’t stand and just laid still. I realized I had to give up when I saw the doctors face.

Honestly still balling my eyes out about him but here’s my main question; my other 5yo Guinea pig doesn’t know he died.. I looked up online and it said I should place his body in the cage so my other Guinea pig can understand and grieve? Do I really have to do that? I’m afraid he’s going to take it bad and become depressed and end up following him..

I don’t know what to do. Why did he have to die so early. I’m terrified of getting him new friends because I don’t want to see them leave me again, but i don’t want my 5yo Guinea pig to feel alone

Please please please help

I’m so sorry for your loss.

No, you don’t have to put his body in the cage for his cage mate, but you can if you would like to.
The reality is, as he was poorly, your surviving piggy will already have known that his friend was unwell and they would actually have already said their goodbyes.

Make sure you keep an eye on your piggy - the information in the guides below explains how to look after him while he is grieving.

Give yourself and your piggy some time to come to terms with what has happened.
You can then decide about getting him a new cage mate over the next few weeks.

Death, Dying, Terminal Illness; Human Grieving and Bereaved Companions: Information and Support for Owners and Their Children

Hello, first time posting here so excuse me if I’m posting in the wrong place.

My 4yo Guinea pig has been sick for the past 6 months unable to eat and lost about 700g (the vet thinks it’s some type of cancer? I’ll add an xray photo for anyone curious). We rushed to the vet when I was going to syringe feed him but he couldn’t stand and just laid still. I realized I had to give up when I saw the doctors face.

Honestly still balling my eyes out about him but here’s my main question; my other 5yo Guinea pig doesn’t know he died.. I looked up online and it said I should place his body in the cage so my other Guinea pig can understand and grieve? Do I really have to do that? I’m afraid he’s going to take it bad and become depressed and end up following him..

I don’t know what to do. Why did he have to die so early. I’m terrified of getting him new friends because I don’t want to see them leave me again, but i don’t want my 5yo Guinea pig to feel alone

Please please please help

Hi and welcome

BIG HUGS

I am so very sorry. You can never choose when, what from and under which circumstances your piggies die. But as long as you give them what they measure a good life by - many happy todays in good care - however short or long their life with you, you are not failing them. The rest is simply out of your control but since guinea pigs don't have a concept for an average life span it doesn't matter to them. What does matter is the quality and not the quantity of life and your care you have given them.

If you have come home with it, please place any fabric or bedding you have taken them to the vets with in the cage and leave any favourite cosy in the cage if your remaining piggy is snuggling up in it for comfort.
If they are ignoring it, then they have already taken their leave from their very ill companion and it doesn't matter. In nature, a very sick piggy - provided they still can - would remove themselves from their den as a protection for the group (infection risk); it is not quite easy for us to spot in a cage environment but the dynamics are still there. The facing into a corner or holing up in a hut can be a sign of going into internal exile.

Leave any snuggling cosies or fabrics in the cage for the scent to gradually fade over a few days if the cosy is a source of comfort to the grieving piggy. Otherwise just give your remaining piggy the time to grieve and become a bit withdrawn but do not be upset if they carry on as normal. Like with humans, piggies will react very differently to death.
Only step in with feeding support if they stop eating and drinking; which is thankfully rare (acute pining).

Piggies thankfully generally come out of deep mourning after a few days and pick up normal life - if often more subdued - again. As long as a piggy is eating and drinking, you have some weeks for sorting out new companionship before depression/lack of social interaction with their own kind could become more of an issue. That usually gives you a bit more head space to get over the worst and sort out an adoption or similar. ;)

Here is the access link to our own information pack; including a grieving guide for humans and their children: Death, Dying, Terminal Illness; Human Grieving and Bereaved Companions: Information and Support for Owners and Their Children

Back