My Guinea Pig And Baytril

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bree Ward

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I am new to owning little piggies, and I recently got two because they do better in pairs. We got them about two weeks ago, and mine began coughing and sneezing. I took him to the vet and they said they were iffy about antibiotics but wanted him to get better. He has to take baytril for about a week, and at first it was good. But now he seems a little lethargic and he's only nibbling his veggies and hay. I'm really worried, can someone give me advice?

It sounds like he might need some probiotics to stimulate his gut into action again. Baytril can upset the natural gut organisms and cause a loss of appetite. Please ring your vet and explain what is happening and ask for some probiotics.

In the states you can buy probiotics over the counter. If you can find them in capsule form you can just break the cap open and sprinkle a little bit on his pellets or dip a veggie in it. They're the same type of probiotics that vets over charge for.

When I worked in the clinic I would always tell owners (after the vet left) to just get those as they're much cheaper than the ones we sold at the clinic. For a guinea pig I would use about a quarter 1/4 of a small capsule. But you have to give it either 2 hours before or two to three hours after the antibiotic or it will just kill the probiotics. I prefer to give it afterwards. As then it has more time to be active, if he is off of his A/B it doesn't matter when you give it and once a day is fine. You can close the cap up and use more the next day but keep it in the refrigerator.

Antibiotics really mess with the natural balance of the intestines. There is a very special balance of bacteria and antibiotics not only kill the bad bacteria but also the good bacteria.

Hope this helps.

Angela

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back