My girls don't get along.

• Thread starter Thread starter karisrou
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

karisrou

I got my first two guinea pigs back in May (Izzy and Canyon). Both are unaltered. They got along fine, but about the time we got my 3rd guinea pig in June (Penguin), Canyon became very hostile to the other two. When around them, she nips them and will press her head up against theirs and make the other two squeal. Izzy and Penguin get along great, but we have to keep Canyon in a different cage. Anyone have any advice?

Was their any injuries or was it just dominance issues? How big is their cage? Maybe it wasn't big enough for all three of them?

Its dominance issues. I had the alpha (Canyon) and Izzy living in a 12''x24'' cage, but were moved to a 18'' by 48'' cage when we got our third (penguin). Penguin then lived in the smaller cage, but after fights between Canyon and Izzy, we moved Canyon into the smaller cage and Penguin into the bigger cage. Penguin and Izzy get along great.

what were the fights like?

actual blood flowing and biting, weight loss due to stress... or is it just teeth chattering, mounting, and the occasional nipping?

and may I ask, for how long did you keep the three of them together before you took Canyon out?
If you are lucky piggies will sort out who is boss within hours or days, but sometimes it might take more than a week, and we as owners just have to be patient and try not to watch.. :-/

It was just nipping and such...I never actually had all three in the same cage at once.

It's a gradual process to get them used to each other. It can take me up to a couple of weeks - a lot of patience needed! Over a few years I've had about 15 in total - up to 7 at any one time, and touch wood I've never had to give up - they've all been accepted into the group by doing it very gently. Have you tried putting them on your lap together - they're usually too distracted to have a go at each other. Then swap them around a bit in the hutches so their smells merge - sometimes I'll take them all out of one area and let the new one in to have a sniff round and vice versa. It'd be a shame if you couldn't get them all together.

Jillybean said:
Have you tried putting them on your lap together - they're usually too distracted to have a go at each other.

That worked great for me today, no chattering of teeth or nipping.

karisrou said:
Its dominance issues. I had the alpha (Canyon) and Izzy living in a 12''x24'' cage, but were moved to a 18'' by 48'' cage when we got our third (penguin). Penguin then lived in the smaller cage, but after fights between Canyon and Izzy, we moved Canyon into the smaller cage and Penguin into the bigger cage. Penguin and Izzy get along great.

I would go for an even bigger cage. If you are housing three together the recommended minimum on www.guineapigcages.com is 30" by 50" (this is the ideal size for two, minimum for three). To give you an idea, 12" by 24" in that you housed one in is the same size as the cage I keep my hamster in. They will not get along if they cannot get away from one another into their own personal space. Ideally they should each have a place to hide. It is exceptionally important to introduce on neutral ground like on the floor, couch or something. The cage must also be completely neutral having been completely cleaned from top to bottom including any accessories like pigloos.

It is also important not to seperate them at the first signs of teeth chattering or nipping. Have a read over http://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm#Introductions

Its similar but not the same situation i was in with Maria, she was the top pig when she lived with her sister but when harry entered she wasnt having any of it! she chattered rumbled and just went for him! but after neutering him i was DETERMIND! and thats what you have to be when bonding any animal i sat on the landing by their cage and just let them get on with it and i didnt touch them unless they went for each other and soon the chattering stopped because i think Maria realised Harry was just a chubby dumb man lol Tia loved harry from day one so she was cool, eventually i could leave them for a short time and now they live together happily Harrys top pig now but the girlies love him always washing him and let him have first dibs on food it took nearly a month for them to get together so persuvere cos it will take a while but all of them being female they should eventually get on xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back