My Daily Routine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pigpi

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
This is my daily routine, please comment your daily routine below then we can compare. Although it's still the holidays this is my routine when I'm at school.

7.00 - feed piggies pellets and veggies and change water.
Put fresh hay and change the puppy pads or bedding if necessary.

5.00 - take piggies out of hutch and put them in the run.
Wash out food bowl and prepare fresh grass for the piggies as the run is on the patio.
Brush and trim their hair if necessary and check nails and ears.
Prepare the hutch for night time with extra straw and hay.
Put the piggies back in the hutch after around 1 hour and zip up the cover for the night.

Thats a good routine. It could be useful to use for first time piggies owners. :nod:
Mine:
8:20 - Make sure piggies are happy. Put fresh veggies and nuggests. Fill hay rack with fresh green, sweet smelling hay and maybe sometimes top it up with some treats.
3:15 - Give them a cuddle and a very brief health check (looking for lumps, discharge from nose and mouth and checking that their ears are clean).
Top up hay if needed.
Give them extra bedding hay if needed.
Take them out and let them run around.
8:00 - Give them their dinner (Fresh veg and nuggets if needed).
Top up hay rack if needed.
Trim Woody as he has VERY thick fur.
And give them both a cuddle and take pictures and put them on instagram. :drool:

Nice thread :)

8.15 wash food bowls, give fresh pellets, hay, water and veg

1.30 ish get piggies out for floortime and laptime. Spot clean or muck out as needed during this time, fresh hay

3.30ish put piggies back

8pm ish fresh hay, pellets and veg, put their bedtime blanket in

Intermittent chatting/ stroking throughout the day :)

8.00 (unless weekend then more like 10) fill hay racks water and half their daily nuggets. Quick sweep of fleece areas and replace soaker pads.

quick once over (health check) of my quarentine pigs

Then go sort my self out

9.00 ish veggies

Interaction through out day in form of strokes/chats etc..

7ish floor time starts which goes on all night tag team style as I have so many groups

Whilst first lot are out I do second nuggets hay top up waters and sweep fleece and pick out soiled areas of my substrate cages and replace.

at this time I do my weighing weekly for healthy pigs and daily if i have sick pigs or ones I have worries about.

sometime after my tea they fed their veggies usually about 8-9 (on odd time it gets to 9.30 then I get heckled)

about 10ish they get all put to bed and lights out lol (unless Iim tired then it might be 9.30ish

6.30 to 7 am breakfast veggies clean water and top up of hay for nibbles lots of strokes and chat before I go do what I need to do
1pm floor time( still trying to bond my newbie with my bereaved ) so just an hour. Lots of hand held treats. Cage cleaned if needed top up pellets
2 pm cuddles and health check for both
5.30 small veggies for tea lots of chat
8.30 supper time. Usually a carrot , check bedding , cardboard tubes filled with hay, forage, and twigs to keep them occupied
9-10 chats and cuddles grooming especially for my new texel.
10pm lights out time for bed .
I'm usually shattered by then. They have varies toys balls with bells in. Tend to hear them tinkering in the night as long as they are happy I can sleep !x

7am : Spot clean, hoover up poop, change litter trays,fresh veggies,water and pellets and hay. Heat pads. Little stroke time.

5pm- 1 hour floor time.

9pm-1 hour floor time

10pm: Spot clean.heat pads and bedtime :)

If I sleep in at work they get 4 hours the next day 2 @ 10.30 am and 2@9 pm. :)

In between my shifts my OH is in there. He was reading to them the other day!

Once a week deep clean of everything. Every other Sat trim their nails.

Everyday health check and weigh in :)

I only stick to a spot clean or total clean out around 7:30pm.
Pellet time is at 8pm.
They get veggies throughout the day.

Love this :lol!:
He feels guilty as he wont pick them up as he is scared of hurting them as they dont come to him like they do me and also he is not keen on them being hairless so he goes in and just spends some time with them for me while the Chins are asleep. Checks their hay for me. :)

6am brief check on pigs, quick fill up of hay and food bowls if necessary

7ish pm top up hay again, food bowls, feed veggies, cuddle time, floor time, spot clean, sweep shed floor

If it's a Wednesday (which I don't work) or weekend I come and go a lot more.

8:00 am Breakfast time , top up nuggets , fresh veggies , fresh hay,
3:30 pm Home from work - hugs time, and check over , open garden hatch for play and grass munch, treats time, (dandelion or parsley or bay leaf)
5: 30 pm Tea time, - cabbage , fresh hay
Bedtime (varies on time of year and weather - cuddles and close up shed

On days off and weekends :: open hatch in morning so they can play all day, lots of mummy and boys cuddle times and treats:hug::whistle:

8am hoover poop and stray hay. Veggies, nuggets and hay top up.
6pm floor time with a few bits of veg and hay ball.
8pm cuddles! Set OH allergies off XD
9pm water change, more hay, poop patrol then quiet time before bed.

Oh wow! I feel terrible now - I have absolutely no routine! They get veg whenever I manage to get out my bed, I tend to check everything's ok at that time as well and maybe top up the hay if needed, and generally have a chat to them. Throughout the day my dad has taken to going in and chatting to them - I think he's become quite taken with my boys! I usually try to do pellets sometime in between the veg feeds but sometimes it has to wait til the 2nd veg load of the day. Also do hay change/top up at 2nd veg of the day. Cuddles and floor time occur as and when the notion takes me, or them (sometimes they're not keen!). I tend to do a general health check every cuddle time and nail trims as and when necessary, they have dark nails so I tend to do little and often - the clippers are always to hand! Weigh in tends to be on cage change day but again it's usually to hand to do if I feel the need outwith cage clean.

We tend to have more of a routine going when I'm at uni, at the moment I'm doing all nighter's in the library trying to write an essay so the routine is completely out of whack! They're still getting everything the need & plenty of attention; just not at specific times!

7.30am top up food, water and hay or if the weather's nice they go outside in their run
Throughout the day mum checks up on them and gives more hay if needed
6.30pm come in from the garden and have floor time with more food, hay and veggies. They jump up on my lap for cuddles while there out.
8pm either a quick daily clean of the cage or a full clear out. If its a Monday I weigh them and check teeth.
Whenever I decide to go to bed, give them a once over, a cuddle, put them in the cage for the night and top up food and hay

Around 9am - clean the wet newspaper and hay, get the poo out of their beds and put it all back again. Give them their antibiotics and skin cream and give them breakfast of hay, veggies and new pellets.
Around 3pm - check on them to make sure they aren't chewing their hutch to pieces
6pm - dinner time, more veggies and hay
9pm - antibiotics, more hay, extra newspaper if it's gotten a bit sodden!

I love this thread although if mine are fed any later than 7am I am verbally abused!

6.30-7 am breakfast (veggies)
7.30-8 am extra hay and grass (essential to guinea mental health apparently, woe betide I forget!)
If working at home, drop in every few hours with grass.. No point in bothering unless I turn up with grass!
6.30- 7pm dinner (under no circumstances can this be later so much so I recruit parents, neighbours or husband if I dare be late!)
Every other day, in house for run around, sleep in front of TV and general cuddles. Hawaii five 0 favourite TV program. Sleep for hours in front of this.
10-11 pm extra hay, handful of dried grass, scattering of dried herbs throughout run for rummaging to get through night.. A discerning guinea needs rummage time between feeds apparently...

Spoilt? Not in their minds but definitely in my husbands mind!

Wow, you lot are really organised. I obviously have routines, and they fit in around my work, kids, dog and the ponies but i dont have a structured timetable with the guineas.

The trouble is you start with no routine and slowly they turn you into well trained slaves! I am without a doubt a complete and utter slave.

If work gets in the way I feel terribly guilty! I do not have children and sadly gave up owning horses last year after a sad loss, so they get to rule me even more than most!

I love this thread although if mine are fed any later than 7am I am verbally abused!

Yes mine set their alarm for 7am as well!

The trouble is you start with no routine and slowly they turn you into well trained slaves!
Quite agree. Mine have set the veggie feeding timetables & they want it 3 times a day 7am, 11am-12pm, 4-5pm (I work from home & they live in the computer room). They will wheek the house down otherwise, which distresses the dog & she makes sure I attend to them.

7am -
  • Refill their hay
  • Check water
  • Spot clean cage

5pm -

• Get the pigs out and let them run around the living room
  • Take everything out of their cage and shake off their cage liner outside or change with a clean liner
  • Clean litter box and refill with hay
  • Fill pellet bowl with 1/4 cup pellets
  • Clean water bottle
  • Give 1-2 cups of vegetables which they eat while they are having floor time
  • Play with them for a little while
  • Put them back in their cage after about an hour

Every 2-3 days I also get them out for laptime at about 8pm and on a Saturday I take them out at some point for weighing and a health check.

7am Look in on piggies & give each group the other groups left over veggies from previous night
8am Give piggies their morning veggies
10am Top up their dry food & change water.
1pm Give them fresh grass if weather is wet. If weather is nice go to 3pm
3pm Put piggies on lawn for one hours grazing (weather permitting)
7pm Give each group of piggies the other groups left over veggies from the morning.
8pm Give piggies their evening veggies
9pm Top up their hay

They have a 6x2 c&c run so have plenty of exercise space. I also spot clean as necessary & give full clean outs on Sunday 10am one group & 5pm the other group. Plus 9am Sunday they get weighed, health checked nails cut as necessary. They also get cuddle time & occasional floor time if weather is bad for several days or during winter.

Yes mine set their alarm for 7am as well!

Quite agree. Mine have set the veggie feeding timetables & they want it 3 times a day 7am, 11am-12pm, 4-5pm (I work from home & they live in the computer room). They will wheek the house down otherwise, which distresses the dog & she makes sure I attend to them.

My goodness...they even have your dog trained! Impressed!

My routine for my 3 :

About 9-9.30 am poop sweep, wash all bowls, clean litter trays, wash & replace with fresh newspaper. Remove all old hay & replace with fresh. Wash veggies, feed piggies, give medication & probiotics. If it's cleaning out day then I would pop them in a big run indoors & then clean everything, replace fleece etc. After they have eaten their veggies they then tell me they want their pellets :D They will squeak until they get them. I only give them a tiny amount, split into twice a day.

11 am Top up hay just before leaving for work.

5-5.30 pm Poop sweep, wash litter trays, replace paper in litter trays. Wash veggies, give them to them, followed by the rest of their pellets again as soon as they ask for them ;) Top up hay.

10-11 pm Poop sweep, replace paper in litter trays, top hay up for the night & give them a sneaky piece of cucumber if I can't escape before they realise it's the slave's bed time :D I also might give them a couple of sticks of the Multi-Modal to keep them occupied during the night.

This has been really interesting to read! We have a very loose routine at present, but this has given me lots of good ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back