My Cavies Have A Problem!

• Thread starter Thread starter CavyFan23
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CavyFan23

My two cavies aren't too kind to each other from time to time. I got Angel as a companion for Snowball, and they have been together for more than 3 months. But, they won't cuddle, play, or do anything together except eating. When one goes into the hideout (big enough for 3 guinea pigs), the other bumps noses and bares its teeth.Another problem with the hideout is that when one goes in, the other starts teeth chattering. I've tried taking away the hideout, but still have the same results. I was expecting them to cuddle, play, and love each other. Before I introduced Angel, I quarentined her, and bought a nicer and bigger cage, so the established territory would be gone. The cage is 50.5"x26.5"x20". Now and then, both of them would chatter their teeth and rub their scent glands along the cage floor. Does anyone know the problem?

~Narai

Perhaps put two of everything in the cage so they don't have to 'share' - it's worked for two boars I have. Especially two hidey holes for them to get away from each other. My girls did this when they were first put together but have established the boss pig now, but I guess if you have two dominant pigs it might be a problem.

That's a good idea. I don't need to worry about lack of space because my cage is big enough. Thanks again!

I agree with Kathryn. Two of everything will help. For my 2 girls who live together I have 2 main places for sleeping and a third hideout as well so that they can always get away from each other. My girls play together all the time and are never aggressive to each other but they rarely cuddle up together and they always sleep separatly.

my runs have more then 2 of everything as i keep more then two pigs in the run in my girls run there is 16 girls and they have 4 large igloos and fiddle stix 2 large food shutes and 2 hugh bottles and no arguing ever happens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back