My Boars Aren't Getting Along So Well..

Status
Not open for further replies.

AimeeOx

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi All!

I have a question; should I be worried?

Higgins (my short haired GP) keeps mounting Gibson's (long haired GP) head, and really going for it (if you know what I mean!), Gibson just lays flat to the ground and lets him. We previously saw Gibson as the dominant one. This is then followed by rumble strutting from both sides, and yesterday they reared up at each other (first time I've seen this), they occasionally chin-lift, but this was different, and Higgins had his mouth open. Gibson also has what looks like a bite on his ear (it doesn't look fungal etc., bathed with saline and will keep an eye on it).

I've had them 11 months (since they were a few weeks old), and they've always got along Ok, I am aware that sometimes boars fall out and its irrecoverable, but I don't want this to happen! the daft thing is, when they are separated for lap time or grooming etc., they shout for each other and miss each other terribly!

I've asked my partner to keep an eye on them both today and see what happens.. Do you think I should prepare myself for a split?

Tagging in @Wiebke for you, sounds like the hormones are kicking in for the teenage years unfortunately. How big is their cage?

They have a two storey cage, 1.2 x 0.7m, plus 24/7 access to a 1 x 1.5m run, four hideys, three water bottles and two hay piles, so plenty of escaping room, though they follow each other everywhere..! - do you think I need to go bigger/add more hideys? They've just turned 1 so it could be teenage hormones....!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back