• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Mushy smelly poop

Pigglemama

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all. Percy started with pointy poops on Friday and today they’re quite smelly and mushy. He is eating as normal and seems happy. Maybe a bit sleepier but I’m prob imagining it as he is quite chilled anyway. I have unopened Benebac but it expired March last year would you risk it? Thanks 🙏

Attachments

• IMG_9820.webp
    IMG_9820.webp
    20.8 KB · Views: 1
Have you switched to daily weight checks? If not, then definitely do so.
Remove all fresh veg from his diet until poops normalise, and then keep him off veg for a further 24-48 hours after they normalise. Then reintroduce veg slowly.
If poops don’t normalise after a few days off veg, then see a vet.
If it turns to diarrhoea, then urgently see a vet.

I don’t think I would use expired benebac even if it hasn’t been opened.
I would use poop soup though

Hope he is ok

Have you switched to daily weight checks? If not, then definitely do so.
Remove all fresh veg from his diet until poops normalise, and then keep him off veg for a further 24-48 hours after they normalise. Then reintroduce veg slowly.
If poops don’t normalise after a few days off veg, then see a vet.
If it turns to diarrhoea, then urgently see a vet.

I don’t think I would use expired benebac even if it hasn’t been opened.
I would use poop soup though

Hope he is ok
Thanks so much. He’ll be heartbroken over no veggies 🥒 Can I make poop soup out of any of his poops? X

Thanks so much. He’ll be heartbroken over no veggies 🥒 Can I make poop soup out of any of his poops? X

No, the poops have to be from a healthy companion to be full of good bacteria.
He has soft poops because his microbiome is impacted so if you try to make soup out of his poops it doesn’t contain what is needed to help him

Back