• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

munchies man bits

• Thread starter Thread starter Lez
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lez

i think he may have an infection, but not sure, could do with opinions.

i took him out so i could clean he cage, and did the usual checks, to discover that his bits are all gunky and white and sticking out, and he was whimpering when i inspected. hes now hidden it, but it looks like theres a lump inside, and his bits are all swollen. got him sat on my bfs knee and the poor thing is constantly readjusting how hes sat/laid so hes obviously in distress. doesnt help that he has very large bits anyway :o

were watching him very closely to see if hes peeing ok but hes not done so for a while now, although he is pooing ok so thats fine.

does it sound most likely like an infection? i intend to call our vet tomorrow morning and book him in straight away

sounds like there could poss be an infection, I'm forever pulling out bits of hay from the nether regions as it can become stuck and cause infections etc so maybe he's got a bit of hay trapped which is aggrivating him or something?

It might be worth giving him a little bed bath this evening. If he's in pain with it might help him if you gave him a bit of pain relief (0.2ml calpol) 5 mins before you do it....
good luck with vets tomorrow.

i checked around for hay but theres no sign of any. when i first picked him up he had it extruded and there was no sign of any, it was just clogged with white, and was swollen, and had like spikey bits of flesh sticking out, but after a little while he hid it away again and wouldnt let me touch him, he squeaks and wimpers and squirms but i dont blame him poor guy, but if its hay thats stuck inside its possible i wouldnt be able to see it?

ok i got munchie out this morning to check him over, and hs looking a lot better today!

hes not gunked up, and doesnt have a lump andmore, and doesnt seem in much distress anymore, and is only a little swolen.

however he still seems to be having trouble peeing.

ive got him in the run now, and he sits as though hes trying to pee, but all he manages are little damp patches :o

any ideas?

Get him to a vet asap.As he is not peeing he may have retention,and this could be fatal.Something is blocking the urethra.

The white gunge is a sexual secretion,which some boars secrete in excess.This substance can sometimes cover the penis and cause swelling and possible infection.Extrude the penis and clean the gunge off with cotton pads or similar.Warm olive oil will soften the gunge.Once you have cleaned the penis apply either Kamilosan cream or Calendula cream,smear this on very lightly.Boars with this problem,in fact all boars should have the penis checked on a regular basis.Hopefully this is all the problem is,but if he does not start peeing normally soon after the clean up,you must get him examined to see why he is not urinating.

i cleared him up today, and hes now peeing, but its as if he has no control. he doesnt pee for ages, and then suddenly pees everywhere loads. i left him in the run for a lot of the day to monitor him more closely so i could tell if he was peeing, and he went ages without peeing, he looked like he was trying, was in the position he usually stands in when hes doing his buisness, but wasnt happening, then eventually he peed everywhere. more than usual, i really mean it was everywhere, i had to bath him afterwards.

hes been peeing like this all day, swelling is down though, and hes not wimpering, or struggling to sit/lay anymore

I would take him to a vets love, it's not normal for piggies to go that long without peeing properly.
I agree with Debbie & Mary it sounds like an infection, he needs medication a.s.a.p.
Good luck, we'll keep our paws crossed for little Munchie :smitten: :smitten:

thanks guys ill get the bf to call the vets tomorrow, he put it off today saying he wanted to monitor him since he had improved a lot since yesterday. munchie is actually my bfs piggy we have one each who live together. ill make sure he books him in tomorrow just in case

hes off to the vet at 5pm today :) couldnt get him in any earlier.

hes still peeing, but same as yesterday. very erratic and almost uncontrolable, and still in huge quantites.

I'm hoping its the usual lady i see when i take them, as shes very good with the piggies, and will have him all sorted :)

sorry for the triple post, just got back from the vets.

the guy said that munchie is nice and healthy, he thinks its it looks like munchie is most likely finishing recovering from an infection, which he could have had while we were on holiday, as my housemate was looking after them while we were away, but he advised we continue to monitor him closely like we are doing, and if the erratic patterns continue to bring him back, and they will want to xray him to be sure it isnt bladder stones etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back