• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

munchies flakey problem!

• Thread starter Thread starter poppy1775
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

poppy1775

Hi I've noticed that munchie is scratching a lot lately so when i had a look at him i noticed that his got what looks like dry flakey skin a bit like danduff all over his skin :(
does anyone have any ideas what this is and what i can do about it he seems to be quite itchy! :(

It sounds like a skin fungal infection. You can check if it is this on www.gorgeousguineas.com
If you are still unsure, email Chrissie at GG and she will help. You will probably need a melt and shampoo. My boar Lennie has just had his second treatment for a fungal infection, a coco neem melt and manuka neem shampoo and he is a lot better :)

munchies flakey problem!

ok thanks i'll give that i try thankyou!

wow i just went to that website its amazing anyway i got some of that coconeem melt hopefully that will work ;)

You will need the shampoo as well hunny. You apply the melt and rub gently into the skin and leave on for 20 minutes. You then need to bath your guinea using either the coco neem shampoo or the manuka neem one. Shampoo once and rinse, then apply shampoo again, lather up and leave on for 5 mins and rinse off. The melt wont do on its own as it makes the fur greasy and if you use a different shampoo, it can make the problem worse as it strips the oils out of the skin :)
If you didnt manage to get the shampoo and you still want to, email Chrissie and explain. I am sure she will add it to your order without charging extra postage.

oh dear ok then i'll see if i can add it! thanks for that do they come with instuctions? :D

All products come with instructions and can be downloaded from the site :)

lol yeah i just found that out :D i didn't look before lol ;D :embarassed:

hi everyone it's me again i ordered some stuff for munchies fungus from gorgeous guineas and now there's a blooming postal strike so it probably won't get here till wednesdayat earliest >:( >:( >:(

is there anything i can do to make him more comfortable in the mean time?

Go to a health food shop and get a shampoo based on either tea tree oil or neem oil.Some of Chrissies shampoos contain these,but her shampoos are better than shop bought ones.

thanks i'll try that i don't want to use anything thats going to irritate him though!​
:smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

hi just wanted to thank everyone for their help thought you might like to see this pic of him enjoying his melt! :D

IMG_0154.jpg

He really enjoyed it i don't think he was too keen on the bath after though! ::)

yeah his definatly stopped scratching as much now he seems betterin himself too! :smitten: :smitten:

That is good news :) You will need to repeat the melt and shampoo 7 days after the first treatment and then a 3rd treatment again after another 7 days ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back