Mum won’t buy a bigger hutch

pepperpoop

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
So my guinea pig Pepper is currently on her own, as her cagemate died a couple of weeks ago (we are looking at getting another). She is usually in a 4x2 c&c in the shed, but at the moment it is so hot in the shed that she has to be in an outdoor hutch by the side of our house that is sheltered by the sun. My mum has just bought this hutch, and is adamant that it is ‘big enough’ when it definitely is not, at all. It’s much too small. But every time I tell her, she explodes into a rage about how she bought it and she drove all the way to get it, and how we aren’t going to get a bigger hutch and I can’t do anything about it.
Please help, I hate seeing my guinea pig so bored and in a tiny hutch, it feels so cruel and I don’t know what to do.

What are the hutch measurements?

If you are not able to buy one yourself, all you can really do is explain that a bigger hutch is needed to meet welfare requirements. There is plenty of information on the forum as to the issues a hutch which is too small can cause - perhaps you could show our housing section to your mum.

What are the measurements of the hutch or could you perhaps upload a picture? Would your mum maybe consider selling it on and using the money to top up and buy another?

The other alternative is for you to save for a bigger one? Maybe you could talk to her about being paid for some chores.

With regards to boredom, try some of the suggestions in the link below on enrichment. Good luck with finding her a new friend. Not sure where you are but have you tried rescues?

Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

What are the hutch measurements?

If you are not able to buy one yourself, all you can really do is explain that a bigger hutch is needed to meet welfare requirements. There is plenty of information on the forum as to the issues a hutch which is too small can cause - perhaps you could show our housing section to your mum.
What are the measurements of the hutch or could you perhaps upload a picture? Would your mum maybe consider selling it on and using the money to top up and buy another?

The other alternative is for you to save for a bigger one? Maybe you could talk to her about being paid for some chores.

With regards to boredom, try some of the suggestions in the link below on enrichment. Good luck with finding her a new friend. Not sure where you are but have you tried rescues?

Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs
Hi, the outside hutch is about 20 x 45 inches. (as opposed to our c&c which is 71 x 142 inches)
As for explaining to my mum, I am painfully aware of how large a guinea pig hutch needs to be, and have explained to my mum countless times about how a hutch too small is harmful. She simply will not listen.
My mum won’t sell it either. I’m 18 so I have a job and enough money to buy a new hutch, so i’m starting to think my only option is to try and sell the old hutch and buy a new one, against my mums wishes.

I would be careful about selling it against her wishes, given she bought it. But do consider buying a larger one. Show her which one you are considering and discuss where you could put it. Hopefully she will then see you’re serious.

I would be careful about selling it against her wishes, given she bought it. But do consider buying a larger one. Show her which one you are considering and discuss where you could put it. Hopefully she will then see you’re serious.
I’ve spoken to her and she says that she is okay with me selling it but I would have to organise it all myself, and buy the new one with my own money. I’m prepared to do this but won’t be able to for a couple of weeks due to exams, so not sure what to do in the mean time.
Thanks for your help x

You are in a catch 22 really but a small hutch which is cooler (provided it is cooler and remains cool. is there a thermometer on the hutch?) vs a shed which is beyond 25 degrees, then the small hutch would be the safest option for now.

Is there any insulation on your shed? It can help keep the shed cooler. My four piggies are kept in my shed and it is insulated. It isnt making it completely safe and cool enough for the height of summer but it certainly is better vs my old shed which was not insulated.

You are in a catch 22 really but a small hutch which is cooler (provided it is cooler and remains cool. is there a thermometer on the hutch?) vs a shed which is beyond 25 degrees, then the small hutch would be the safest option for now.

Is there any insulation on your shed? It can help keep the shed cooler. My four piggies are kept in my shed and it is insulated. It isnt making it completely safe and cool enough but it certainly is better vs my old shed which was not insulated.
Thank you, that’s really reassuring to hear, I’ve just worried myself sick about my guinea pig recently. The smaller hutch is definitely cooler and in the shade.

Our shed isn’t insulated but we are looking at insulating it.
Thanks again for your help! I’ve felt so guilty recently that i can’t provide the proper care for my guinea pigs, especially as many rescues near us have rejected us due to the outside hutch being too small for their requirements.

Do make sure you have a thermometer on the hutch. Even in the shade, hutches can still trap hot breezes and the temperature inside can be raised more than the outside temperature suggests. You just need To keep a close eye.

Sheds can be insulated cheaply and easily by using silver foil insulation. Just staple it on!

Rescues will want 5 or 6 foot hutches, with some rescues not being prepared to rehome to outdoor homes anyway.

Back