Mum and baby fighting

• Thread starter Thread starter ralfie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ralfie

I saw Barney trying to mount his mum again today, but didn't want to seperate them until he was 3 weeks (he's 16 days old), but she attacked him as if to say get off me. He isn't injured and I've checked him for any other injuries which I may not be aware of but couldn't find any. What's the best thing to do? Keep him in and risk a fight or seperate them? He's still feeding from mum and I don't want to deprive him of her :(

hmmm thats a hard decision..how is his eating, does he eat plenty of hay and veg to make up for it if he's taken away from mum? maybe you could divide the cage for a few hours a day to let her have a break from him

He eats like a trooper but he's still feeding from Pepper, I just didn't want to stop him from getting as much goodness as poss before he gets taken out next weekend. I'm just going to keep a close eye on them over the next few days I think and if push comes to shove I'll divide the cage and just have supervised time together. Who would have thought it would get so confusing ;D

yep lol

prob best, if he's eating on his own fine then maybe he is ok to be seperated, or just keep him in with mum for a little while, then with a cage divider so they can still see each other.

are they good looking? if he's mounting her then just let him until you decide that she's pregnant and then take him out. that way he'll definitely be weaned because he'll be sexually mature.

♥Drizzle♥

Drizzle, I have to admit you're not off to a very good start at all. This is a pro-rescue forum which means that we prefer not to talk about intentional breeding, especially when it's inbreeding. Not only is it inbreeding, but she just had a baby and back-breeding is bad for guinea pigs. AND Bijou (the Mum) doesn't like it and is getting irritated with it and there's even the fear of a potential fight!

Ralfie, I read your other post about putting him in with the other male and I think that you made the right decision. If he was mounting then it's better to be safe than sorry, and three weeks is old enough. Good job O0

Kimmie

[quot♥KimmisGuinas♥ ]
Drizzl, I hav to amit you'r not off to a vry goo start at all. This is a pro-rscu forum which mans that w prfr not to talk about intntional bring, spcially whn it's inbring. Not only is it inbring, but sh just ha a baby an back-bring is ba for guina pigs. AND [colorr]Bijou (th Mum) osn't lik it an is gtting irritat with it an thr's vn th far of a potntial fight!

alfi, I ra your othr post about putting him in with th othr mal an I think that you ma th right cision. If h was mounting thn it's bttr to b saf than sorry, an thr wks is ol nough. Goo job afro

Kimmi
[/quot]

Kimmi you man Pppr osn't lik it ;)

alfi i took Fitz away from Bijou ystray, i han't sn him mounting hr but h was 3 wks ol. H call to hr from th momnt i mov him & sh was running aroun looking for him so i bit th bullt & introuc him to Arthur, an ault boar & it's th bst thing i'v vr on. I know babis shoul b 4wks ol whn you intro thm to aults but Fitz was a big baby & now wighs 11oz & Barny was biggr than him ;) I think you'v on th right thing sparating him from mum 0

I spnt a slplss night worrying about thm & i wnt to chck on thm first thing, couln't s thm & thn i foun thm snuggl up togthr in th pigloo :smittn: :smittn:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanksfor the advice guys, haven't been on for a few days but really appreciate it. They seem to be getting on ok and still no injuries so I'll leave them together until the weekend when he's 3 weeks old. Bless him, I've introduced him to Smudge and they get on great although Smudge seems to want to hump him sometimes ;D

I'm lucky as Smudge has to be the most laid back piggie ever :)

i still can't believe how big Barney is, he looks half the size of his mum and she weighs a kilo, he's 19 days old and weighe 350g :o

ralfie said:
i still can't believe how big Barney is, he looks half the size of his mum and she weighs a kilo, he's 19 days old and weighe 350g :o

He's one beautiful chubby baby  ;D O0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back