Moving to London from Hawaii (rabies free) state, USA

Rej888

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Can anyone help me please. I don't want to have Olive and Sheri be quarantined for 4 months in London. I read that I can maybe fly them into Paris and see a Vet there to maybe issue me a "pet passport"..Any information from you all will be so appreciated. Thank you so much and Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays!

Hello Swissgrey...I was wondering if you have any information on how to get my 2 guineas to London via Paris. As you know, if I took them there directly fro the US they would need to be quarantined for 4 months..I saw your post about Paris and was wondering if you had further information...thank you

**editd by mod to tag @Swissgreys **

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Hello and welcome @Rej888.

I have moved your post to the appropriate section and merged your posts so they are together. I have also tagged @Swissgreys for you so she sees your post.

To tag another member (so they get notified of your post) type the @ sign and immediately start typing their forum name without leaving a gap. If you’ve done it correctly, as you start to type the name it will bring up a list of members to select. So to tag me, you type @ immediately followed by vic it will offer you a list of Vickis. Hope this makes sense!

Sorry, we do not get all that many requests about moving piggies from one country to another; especially not across the Atlantic.
This guide and an even older one about flying with guinea pigs is unfortunately all we can offer.

I’ve just had a look at the government website page for quarantine rules.
It seems to say that if you bring a rodent in from Europe it must have lived in that country for 4 months to avoid quarantine here.
There may also be a change in the rules if there’s a no deal Brexit

OK, I will start by saying I have only exported animals (rabbits, guinea pigs, and dogs) from a 'clean' country (England) to a 'dirty' country (Switzerland.
'Dirty' simply means that it is not officially rabies free, although rabies is pretty much unheard of these days, certainly in Western Europe.
The UK is one of the toughest to get into becasue of it's clean status (Australia is another tricky one).

In essence you are asking about 2 different trips, so you will need to be fully up to date on the rules involved in bringing guinea pigs from the US to France (I don't imagine it is complicated, but would certainly need to be researched carefully) and then France to the UK.

Going via Paris is unlikely to make a huge difference, as you will be asked about your travel, country of origin, etc. and would need to have paperwork which would certainly show that the guinea pigs had originally come from the US.
So going to Paris won't change the need for your guinea pigs to do 4 months quarantine in the UK.

The only real way to avoid UK quarantine would be to fly to France, and live there with the guinea pigs for 4 months.
Register them with a vet on arrival, and 4 months later you would be eligible for the paperwork needed to enter the UK without any quarantine period.

More information about traveling into the UK with guinea pigs can be found here, but you also need to constantly check this, becasue depending on what happens with Brexit this may all change (and not in a good way) very soon.

Bringing food, animals or plants into the UK

OK, I will start by saying I have only exported animals (rabbits, guinea pigs, and dogs) from a 'clean' country (England) to a 'dirty' country (Switzerland.
'Dirty' simply means that it is not officially rabies free, although rabies is pretty much unheard of these days, certainly in Western Europe.
The UK is one of the toughest to get into becasue of it's clean status (Australia is another tricky one).

In essence you are asking about 2 different trips, so you will need to be fully up to date on the rules involved in bringing guinea pigs from the US to France (I don't imagine it is complicated, but would certainly need to be researched carefully) and then France to the UK.

Going via Paris is unlikely to make a huge difference, as you will be asked about your travel, country of origin, etc. and would need to have paperwork which would certainly show that the guinea pigs had originally come from the US.
So going to Paris won't change the need for your guinea pigs to do 4 months quarantine in the UK.

The only real way to avoid UK quarantine would be to fly to France, and live there with the guinea pigs for 4 months.
Register them with a vet on arrival, and 4 months later you would be eligible for the paperwork needed to enter the UK without any quarantine period.

More information about traveling into the UK with guinea pigs can be found here, but you also need to constantly check this, becasue depending on what happens with Brexit this may all change (and not in a good way) very soon.

Thank you very much

Hawaii is a "Rabies free" state ...can you help me find out if the UK government will recognize it as a "clean" state?

Hawaii is a "Rabies free" state ...can you help me find out if the UK government will recognize it as a "clean" state?
No Hawaii is not seen separately form the rest of the USA, as there is no way to prove that your piggies have never been to the continental US.
As far as UK customs is concerned the USA is one place - the state you come from is immaterial.

To be totally honest I would weigh up your options very carefully before committing to bringing your guinea pigs with you to Europe.
Quarantine is awful - it's tough for dogs, but worse for small animals - I would avoid it at all costs.
One possible solution would be to try and arrange for someone in Europe to look after your piggies for you in a home environment for 4 months. Then you simply come back to Europe to collect them and take them to the UK after this period is over. But there are always risks and potential problems, so the other (and possibly kindest) option might be to look into re-homing them in Hawaii, either to someone you know and trust or a verified rescue.

From reading the information at the link Swissgreys provided, it sounds like you'll have to provide a rabies import licence and that there isn't a way to avoid quarantine if they're coming from outside the EU (see "When to put your pet in quarantine": Put your pet in rabies quarantine).

Even if you imported them to France first, I'm pretty certain they'll have their own restrictions on importing animals from outside the EU, so you're effectively replacing one country's rules with another's (and doing it in a language which isn't English, to add another possible barrier). Chances are they'll still have to go through some kind of quarantine regardless.

However, I'm no expert; I'm just reading the material before me!

Back