Moving the boys onto fleece tomorrow

weepweeps

Senior Guinea Pig
Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Evening everyone. I’m moving the boys onto fleece tomorrow. I’m soooo excited. Any advice on fleece would be welcome. Will the boys need to re-establish their bond with a change of bedding? They are staying in the same hutch in the same garage. They are not being moved into the house yet. That’s phase two.

My plan is to put newspaper down first. Then their new fleece. At each end I have a noodle mat which is where I will put their two hay piles. Then they will have two “hides”. Am I missing anything obvious? Thanks all x

Are they on some kind of disposable bedding at the moment? I'd keep some of it and use it in the new cage if so, it doesn't need to be a massive amount. When the goblins get cleaned out I always use a mix of disposable and fleece and with the way I have the tarp there's always loose bedding gets trapped on the far side of some of the cage bars. As for fleece itself, I put mine on puppy pads (same for the disposable bedding, too). Floor, pad, fleece, roll eyes at daft goblins.

Do you intend just to use newspaper under the fleece? If so you might find that it isn't absorbent enough to draw through the wetness and you are disappointed. I think newspaper can work but you need quite a lot, one layer won't do. I use a cotton mattress protector but folk use these, zorb, U-Haul blankets, puppy pads...

Are they on some kind of disposable bedding at the moment? I'd keep some of it and use it in the new cage if so, it doesn't need to be a massive amount. When the goblins get cleaned out I always use a mix of disposable and fleece and with the way I have the tarp there's always loose bedding gets trapped on the far side of some of the cage bars. As for fleece itself, I put mine on puppy pads (same for the disposable bedding, too). Floor, pad, fleece, roll eyes at daft goblins.

Thanks for that. I could leave in some smelly hay. That should work I think. What do you think?

Do you intend just to use newspaper under the fleece? If so you might find that it isn't absorbent enough to draw through the wetness and you are disappointed. I think newspaper can work but you need quite a lot, one layer won't do. I use a cotton mattress protector but folk use these, zorb, U-Haul blankets, puppy pads...

Thanks. I'm hoping the newspaper shouldn’t be needed at all as the fleece has the stuff inside what wicks into the middle. @rp1993 made them for me and she doesn’t need to use anything under her fleece. I’m just putting it there to start with as I’ve never used fleece before.

Thanks for that. I could leave in some smelly hay. That should work I think. What do you think?

Sounds like a plan. Doesn't have to be much, especially if Home itself isn't moving, just the bedding. Treat it like you would a normal full cage (well, hutch, you know what I mean) clean. Also, I have fleece liners too, but I prefer using puppy pads underneath.

Thanks. I'm hoping the newspaper shouldn’t be needed at all as the fleece has the stuff inside what wicks into the middle. @rp1993 made them for me and she doesn’t need to use anything under her fleece. I’m just putting it there to start with as I’ve never used fleece before.
Oh yes if they are fully built liners then you shouldn't need anything else at all. Definitely exciting 😁

Sounds like a plan. Doesn't have to be much, especially if Home itself isn't moving, just the bedding. Treat it like you would a normal full cage (well, hutch, you know what I mean) clean. Also, I have fleece liners too, but I prefer using puppy pads underneath.

Do the puppy pads get wet? Or do the liners keep it all in?

I think you’ll be fine with a bit of newspaper underneath to test the water, but with bath mats on the hay bit I’m sure they will be fine! Like I’ve said to you previously I don’t bother with anything under them and the cage base is never wet!
P&P got all brand new bedding this week and have been absolutely fine, not shows of dominance or anything, but I’m sure some used hay would help!

Depends on the liner (I have several) but mostly the puppy pad stays fairly dry. I just like to be sure, especially with it being the bigger cage. The less hassle I can cause myself the better.

I think you’ll be fine with a bit of newspaper underneath to test the water, but with bath mats on the hay bit I’m sure they will be fine! Like I’ve said to you previously I don’t bother with anything under them and the cage base is never wet!
P&P got all brand new bedding this week and have been absolutely fine, not shows of dominance or anything, but I’m sure some used hay would help!

Thanks. I can’t wait. If only the boys knew what’s going to happen tomorrow. I’m sure they’d be excited too. The liners are so pretty. 😍

Whoo how exciting. Looks very smart. I use newspaper under the fleece liners and noodle mats. Mine are in a correx lined C&C. I invested in a rubber brush for getting the little bits of hay off the fleece before washing but some tiny bits do inevitably stick. I wash my fleece in a pet wash bag.

Whoo how exciting. Looks very smart. I use newspaper under the fleece liners and noodle mats. Mine are in a correx lined C&C. I invested in a rubber brush for getting the little bits of hay off the fleece before washing but some tiny bits do inevitably stick. I wash my fleece in a pet wash bag.

Thanks for the advice. That’s really helpful. X

I thought for a minute my plans were scuppered as the hutch wouldn’t fit around a corner in the hall way. 🤦🏻‍♀️. We had to flip it onto its side. I’m so relieved. Phew

This was me trying to get the computer chair out of the study last night, but I don't envy anyone trying to get heavy things round corners. It's actually easier with one person...and easier if you can slide it on carpet.

This was me trying to get the computer chair out of the study last night, but I don't envy anyone trying to get heavy things round corners. It's actually easier with one person...and easier if you can slide it on carpet.

We have wood floors. 😳. The only thing thick and large enough to slide it on was Chester’s bed. Thank you Chester.

Oh what a really lovely thread. Lucky boys (and you) moving inside. The liners look wonderful.

Back