Moving outside in late Spring...

Jemima

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all.

So I've had my piggies since last March. They are happy indoors in my office in a C&C. However, they have quite literally taken over my office. Hay all over the floor and spreads into the house, bedding, storage for hay + food etc, and my husband especially (but I do tend to know what he means) thinks we could do with this extra space for ourselves, as we do a lot of crafting and making etc and have a small house as it is.

I am reluctant and hesitant to move them outside... But if we do, I want to ensure I do it right and safely, and give them a lovely life there, with lots of space.

I know I can't move them out yet (it would be late Spring, when it is as warm inside as out and overnight temp is OK).

My questions are...

1. Could they have a hutch with an run attached in the winter on the concrete, or would this be too cold for them and they'd likely not go out on the floor? Obviously I would shelter it from getting wet.

2. What is the best set up in terms of a big hutch, as I know I can't bring them inside for floor time in the winter due to temp differences.

3. How to make sure they are warm enough through the colder months?

4. How to keep their hutch etc fox proof? We do have foxes around.

5. Will they be happy outside? They came from an outside Avery when we rescued them. I am more than happy to go out and talk to them regularly as I work from home! I would be poo picking etc and feeding twice a day.

6. Any other advice / tips?

We have a dark garage with barely any room, so that is not an option. I could possibly move them into our wooden shed in winter but that's at the bottom of the garden, though I do see this as an option, as they would be sheltered, as long as they were in a hutch - and possibly then a run attached in there, but we get mice in there and it's not draft proof! Plus has some gardening tools etc, so not sure I could convince my husband!

Help!

- If the weather is cold, then they will not be able to be out in the run. They need to be kept warm.
My piggies don’t go out in their run between October and April at all due to the damp and cold conditions. They live in a shed though so exercise in there throughout winter.
- I personally find hutches with runs attached underneath are difficult to use. A hutch with a separate run is much easier.
- For two boys you will need a 6ft hutch.
- if the hutch is protected from draught with hutch covers etc, then the shed being a little bit draughty is still better than being completely outside. It’ll keep them out of the worst of the elements
- for keeping them warm, it’s lots of hay, snugglesafe heatpads are essential. Thermal hutch covers also. Even though mine are in the shed and that keeps them considerably warmer, they still have a thermal hutch cover, two blankets a normal hutch cover and a duvet thrown over all of it in winter. Along with lots of hay and four snugglesafes.
- provided you put the time in to be out there, then yes they can be happy outside. This is where having them in a shed provides huge benefit not only to them to keep them out of the worst of the elements, but also to you. You can be with them without getting wet.

Hello. There are quite a few members who have outdoor piggies who will be able to offer more advise.

You would be better off buying a large single level hutch and have a seperate run for nice weather. They wouldn't be able to use the run during the winter as the concrete and outside temperature would be too cold for them.

You can buy snugglesafe heat pads which you warm up in the microwave and they stay warm for around 8 hours. A lot of outside piggy owners use them. Plenty of hay and cardboard boxes stuffed with hay to help keep them warm and try and buy a hutch that you can buy an insulated hutch cover for, also a wind and rain cover.

Make sure you have heavy duty bolts on the hutch to help make it fox proof. You can buy hutches made from fox proof wire so opt for one of those.

Piggies can live happily outside so long as they are warm enough and have plenty of contact with yourself.

Putting the hutch in the shed over the winter months is a great idea but you would have to make it mouse proof and make sure the mice can't get in the hutch

Hello. There are quite a few members who have outdoor piggies who will be able to offer more advise.

You would be better off buying a large single level hutch and have a seperate run for nice weather. They wouldn't be able to use the run during the winter as the concrete and outside temperature would be too cold for them.

You can buy snugglesafe heat pads which you warm up in the microwave and they stay warm for around 8 hours. A lot of outside piggy owners use them. Plenty of hay and cardboard boxes stuffed with hay to help keep them warm and try and buy a hutch that you can buy an insulated hutch cover for, also a wind and rain cover.

Make sure you have heavy duty bolts on the hutch to help make it fox proof. You can buy hutches made from fox proof wire so opt for one of those.

Piggies can live happily outside so long as they are warm enough and have plenty of contact with yourself.

Putting the hutch in the shed over the winter months is a great idea but you would have to make it mouse proof and make sure the mice can't get in the hutch
That's a good point about mice getting into the hutch! I'll have to give the shed a thorough clean and reorganise, and also patch up the holes so they can't get in.
I need to find a decent 6ft hutch. They still look so small in comparison to the C&C!

Chartwell Hutches on Home and Roost website are well recommended. They do tend to be plywood backed though which is fine for in a shed but you would need to make sure it is protected if it did need to be outside.
I have three hutches and the best one I bought came from Pets Corner pet shop. Its lasted 8 years outside (now under cover) and is as good as the day I bought it. It isn’t a plywood hutch, not sure whether the ones they make now are plywood or not.

The other is Ryedale Hutches. They are incredibly solid and secure hutches with additional features which can be added for security and protection but they come with a higher price tag.
With that said, it’s worth spending the money to get a hutch which is going to last particularly if it cannot be in a shed.

i have two piggies outside in a chartwell 6 foot hutch.i have the insulating and waterproof cover.i stuff hay in the bedroom area ,use two snugglesafe pads at night.i use the bottom of the hutch as a play/run area in the winter colder months.ive taken out the ramp covered the hole,so i place them in the bottom of hutch during the day,place in top of hutch at night.

Attachments

• 20160924_165340.webp
    20160924_165340.webp
    70.1 KB · Views: 11
i have two piggies outside in a chartwell 6 foot hutch.i have the insulating and waterproof cover.i stuff hay in the bedroom area ,use two snugglesafe pads at night.i use the bottom of the hutch as a play/run area in the winter colder months.ive taken out the ramp covered the hole,so i place them in the bottom of hutch during the day,place in top of hutch at night.
That is SO helpful to see it in action. Is that the double tiered 6ft one? Why did you take the ramp out - for more space? Mine currently have and use (love) their C&C ramp so I hope it would be OK if I were to get a doubled tiered one...

I would suggest if you can get them in your garage or shed do it because cleaning them out in cold and wet weather is no fun. I’ve been there. Mine are in the garage now. It’s warmer than outside in the winter but also cooler in the summer. Also if they are inside a garage or shed you will spend more time with them and keep your hay/bedding dry.

It's a double tier hutch,I just used them as two separate cages,due to having 40 piggies at one stage.now I've 12,10 live inside.i like having them outside when weather is warmer,as I spend alot of time in the garden.x

Back